Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Bood bye and a cheers on Jim Pettiti.

On Friday afternoon dear Jim Pettiti, the man who provided to many of us their Ural rigs has passed away.
Jim was a man to admire. A fighter and hard worker from young man on, came back from Korea with some wounds for to catch Polio in Hospital.
Being bound to crutches and the last 10 years to a wheels chair, did not hinder him at all to lead a fulfilled life up to his last days even when cancer gave him bad times.
Cart racer and later the founder of Racewayservices in Salem, Oregon he was a living encyclopedia in all kind of engine stuff and could teach you the matter of a college seminar in 1-2 hours.
(Except women where he seems to have had a pretty bad hand and used to warn, not to trust his own advice on anything related to women.)
Passing a few days together with him putting together our Ural rig in 2013 was a real eye opening experience:

"No matter what impediments you have, ALL happens in the mind and you are the only one to blame if things go wrong. So go for it.
- Work is the best health therapy."

82 years of good attitude have found a physical end. But all who we have got him to know will keep him and his anecdotes in living memory.
Cheers on a great man who has done a lot to rig riding in his time.

Now he can give proof of the Irish saying:
"You aught to live a fulfilled life, because eternity is a long time and you need something to talk about with your buddies."
Jim, pass a good time with Your pals and girlfriends.
Cheers.

Sven

Dear Jim, this 16% Oranjeboom beer is on you and dear friends Lola and Jan Larsson too
(if my orthography will be bad, blame it to my low blood level in the alcohol) -
Early today I printed for them the good bye letter that fits perfecly on Jim too.

"In life, my brother, in life.
If, you want to make somebody happy whom you like much, say it today, be good.
In life, my brother, in life.
If you want to give a flower don't wait it to wilt. Send it today with love.
If you want to say "I love/like you" to the people of your house or to the friend close by or far away, make it now.
Don't wait until the people die, for to love them and make them feel your affection.
You will be much happier if you learn to make happy whom you know.
----
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that
You
didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbour.
Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream.
Discover.

You went ahead as a good example and I learned a lot from you both.
I hope to talk to you in your mother language the next time we will met again.

Until then, Your friend.

Sven, the German Peter Pan."

Jim, this counts for you too, because it was exactly part of your your teaching.

Jan and Lola, I hope to be able to finally learn to speak Swedish, too late for to use it with you, but to exercise it while still "in life".
25 years being good friends and not using the mother language is a sign of weakness and laziness.
So please give me some time to change the life of these friends of yours and learn the language for to talk when we meet soon again.

Sven

PS: the first text I got as present from my wife after recovering from antibiotic resistant "meat eater" bacteria in 2000.
the second text was from a photo of a sidecar quite some years ago in the sidecar.com forum.
:O Damn it, I am drunken of 3/4 of a pint, didn't even finish the glass yet. :O

Sven, I didn't know Jim, but it's clear from the post he inspired he was a great guy.

I've never been much into custom paint jobs or excessive stickers/graphics on bikes, but the front of my sidecar is a rather large canvas and these words just may need to find their way on there somehow:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that
You
didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbour.
Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream.
Discover."

Very well said. Great post.

Philip,
don't think much, just do it.
Live every day as it would be the last oportunity to become the man you always wanted to become.
...much could be said, but all what is needed is the will to do things well.

Tomorrow will be the last day dear Jan's shop will be open and then close forever. A history of 62 years entrepeneurship will finish...but no!
3 of his 4 kids continue and 2 of his grandkids to run their own businesses.
Good luck.
Sven