Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Block "K" tires?

Is there good argument for or against running Block "K" tires front and rear, or is some other configuration more desirable? I have 18" wheels front and rear and am getting ready to put on new rubber. Also, are tubes recommended for the Block "K"'s? My bike has mag type wheels and came with tubed motorcycle tires originally.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom we have met several times at the VA rally. Anyhow i have used the block k on my cal II. Here is my experience. Rear -terrible mileage no handling improvements. Front- mileage was ok steered well. All that said i use metzeler 880 on the front and conti tk17 on the rear. Works for me

Also block k are tube type.

Hello Bill,

Are you the little guy that was riding a Buell the first time I met you in VA :>) ? Hope to see you again this year, I'll be taking the SP and sidecar and my 5 year old grandson.

Thanks for the info on the tires. Any reason you didn't use an 880 on the rear as well? Is that the biased 880 or the radial? I've never used a Conti before so I'll look into that. I always thought Block "K" tires would give longer mileage on the rear, but it sounds like that's not the case in your application. What type of hack do you use?

Again, thank you.

i mounted k-block on Sarge's 2004 ural retro and it wore the back tire fairly quick..........fly

Yep that was me on the Buell. I have a velorex on the cali. I use the conti because as you know choices are limited in that size and the tk 17 wears very well. I use bias 880's on the front. The problem with the block k is the rubber is VERY soft. Nice for steering but i think i went through the rear in 2500 miles

Thanks Bill. I'm sure you know my SP has 18" wheels front and rear and I forgot yours has a 16" rear, no? I may even run some Shinko 712s on for one set to see how they perform. I have Shinko 705s on my DL650 and like them just fine. I got 9,000 miles out of my last rear Shinko and 8,500 of those were with a plug in it. Actually, it had some miles left, but I'm planning a trip so wanted to be on the safe side.

Hope to see you in Buena Vista this year?

Regards,

Tom

Actually the cal2 has 18's front and rear just like the sp. No definite plans but yes looking forward to Buena Vista.