Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Bike/sidecar weight formula?

Curb weight of My Valkyrie IS is 838 Lbs according to the shop manual. I'm sure it's a few Lbs more with add-ons. Is there a weight range formula to help me shop for a used Hack?

For example too heavy or too light?

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Not a formula, more a rule of thumb. The sidecar should be a quarter to a third the weight of the bike. Other factors such as the width of the hack, where the hack's center of gravity rides and the intended cargo play into it as well. Some parings are obvious mistakes like a scooter sidecar on a goldwing or a Hannagan Astro on a Rebel.

Generally, 1/3 weight is the approximate rule of thumb I've heard. I put a Velorex on a Shadow that was lighter than that by a little bit, and installed it close to the bike. It turned out to be around 100# too light. If you get too heavy, IMO it isn't as bad of a problem. You have some handling issues, basically it appears it would be tougher to steer. If it's light, you lift the chair at the drop of a hat, and I went into oncoming traffic (no problems except the puckered seat vinyl). Granted, not very experienced at piloting a hack, practically a newbie, but it seems to me if you mess up, go heavy.

If you install it farther from bike (a wide track), it can compensate for it being light. Mine was installed narrow on purpose to pass through a specific barrier where I work. Perhaps that was a bad choice, but on the re-do, I'm keeping it narrow but heavier. If I had it to do again, I'd get a heavier car.

So figuring that my starting weight of 838 is going to be closer to 875-900 Lbs with add ons to the bike. I should look for a sidecar of close to 300 Lbs..

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Puckered seat vinyl? I'm surprised that seat didn't disappear altogether!

I have a Shadow Spirit 750 with an American Spirit Easy Rider sidecar. Its not too close to the bike but it is light. It fly's very easily too - trying to correct that with a steel plate mounted under the car and above the frame. Rig looks great but I wish I had either a smaller bike or a larger sidecar.

LOL. Damn near, but my butt is smaller than the Shadow seat. Wouldn't quite fit. 😉

Let me know how that mod goes / what you're doing. I'm planning on something similar for mine, too. I think the 750 is pretty darn close to the 1100 as far as size / weight. I've been looking for the right ballast, and my conclusions are: Steel for ease of installation. If I do it right, I can have it slide in & out with a quick release of some sort. Cast gym weights might be great for this, slide in a bracket and pop something down the center hole to hold it there. Lead for compact size. I can get reclaimed lead shot from trap ranges, about $160 for 100#. 4 bags about the size of a loaf of bread. This has the interesting aspect of being able to be poured. I can make some sort of jug and fill it or empty it in whatever increment I see fit. I was thinking of a drain valve, but I'm not real sure how badly it would jam on the pellets. (Note, I've used tons of shot reloading shotgun shells, so I'm pretty familiar with this, not sure it'd be the right choice for everyone.)

I currently used sand in double plastic bags and put into a duffel bag. The good - its moldable around other objects. the bad - doesn't hold its shape otherwise. It's also all or nothing unless I build more bags. The ugly - I fear springing a leak.

I'm considering reclaimed shot into multiple ammo cans. Compact in size and can add or remove cans as needed.

Ammo cans. Hmm... Relatively cheap, waterproof... Tools fit in there, maybe... Actually, my current tool box is a drink bottle. Fits all of the compact tools pretty well, hardly any wasted room, and completely waterproof. That would also work quite well for shot, thanks for making my gears turn enough to engage the starter. 😉