Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

bike/hack value

ok, so I found a used bike with a hack, how would I value the bike with the sidecar?

year? Model? Condition? location? Competition?

Many factors contribute to value. Just not 'nuf info here to render a guess.

it is a 05 Yamaha road star with a California sidecar, I don't know the model of the side car, and I cant post a pic of it, but the bike is at capital cycles in Columbia s.c.

I found the bike on Capital Cycle's web site.

https://www.capitalcitycycles.net/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=5419040&p=1&s=Year&d=D&sq=sidecar&fr=xpreownedinventory

I see the dealer hasn't posted an asking price. I'm afraid I don't know enough about Yams or Cali sidecars to venture a value. Perhaps others can.

thanks, they are asking $9000, and I don't know if it is high or not.

Dealer prices are always high, IMHO!! Is there any warranty or accessories being thrown in by the dealer to sweeten the deal?

For comparison, perhaps browse the "Complete Rigs For Sale" section here on this web site. You can see what owners are asking for similar rigs. Factor in availability and distance and you can probably come up with what its worth to you to jump on this rig. You can also use the data collected to dicker with the dealer.

NADA average retail on the bike is only $3100. So that's giving 6k for the sidecar. Seems way high to me.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology.

wildbill69 - 7/9/2018 8:50 AM

it is a 05 Yamaha road star with a California sidecar, Check how many ww points do i get I don't know the model of the side car, and I cant post a pic of it, but the bike is at capital cycles in Columbia s.c.

Hey can please post the pics?

Delun.

for pics follow the link to dealers website in Old Schools post, above.

duncan

2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

Valkrider - 7/9/2018 12:53 PM

NADA average retail on the bike is only $3100. So that's giving 6k for the sidecar. Seems way high to me.

I would expect that a sidecar in good condition would add about $2K to the price of a used bike. One can buy a brand new sidecar for $6K so that dealer is setting his price pretty high, especially for an "orphan" sidecar!

Most of the folks who throw out prices for used rigs forget the cost of mounting. Mounting and set up can cost anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars.

And while we're at it, there are sidecars and then there are SIDECARS. True an orphan like the one in your example drop off quickly but there are other sidecars that are orphans [because the company went out of business] actually become more valuable.

Just more to think about. Just saying that a used sidecar adds $2k to the value of a bike may not be the best rule of thumb. All that said, I believe that given that sidecar $2-3k is about right. The only way you can decide if the price on a used rig is right is this... "Am I willing to spend this money for this rig?"

Not bad looking.. What size engine in the bike?

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO