Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Being followed home...

For 1500 miles this bugger tailgated me all the way home. Must be lonely, wanting to be adopted.

Poor little red shiftless Wing. Hope Mama welcomes him into the fold with the other three wheeled critters.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
smitty901, John Drury and Reardan Tom have reacted to this post.
smitty901John DruryReardan Tom

OK now, I suspect there's a better photograph(s) out there than that one.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

I like the perspective. 

Looks nice from what I can see 

looking forward to more pics

USCA # 8913

need picture off mama face when she see's her  new toy.

dave

CCJON, good job, you will enjoy that machine.

Doyne

Now off the trailer, time to get a good look at this rig...

Decide what needs changing and what to order...

It's a 2018 Goldwing DCT with a Hannigan sidecar, Hannigan modified front forks,  assembled by Claude Stanley at Freedom Sidecars, only 600 miles.

Ordered a bigger windscreen for the bike and a shorter windscreen for the tub, back rest, highway peg for the left foot, floorboard for the right foot... run flat car tire for the rear and a rear MC tire for the front.  Double dark side all the way...

Now for a test run to the East Texas-Louisiana Rally this weekend.

Uploaded files:

Wow that is a sweet looking rig. look forward to hearing about your first adventure. 

it could just be the perspective of the picture but it looks as if the bike is leaning toward the car. 

CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon
USCA # 8913

Got some sorting to do, learned a few things riding to the East Texas-Louisiana rally this weekend. That tall tub windscreen diverts a lot of air on to the right arm shoulder. Exhausting after four hours of riding. A shorter windscreen is on order. 

Blew a fuse on the hydraulic actuator, back home I replaced the 30 amp fuse but need to trace down the cause. 

Being my first DCT bike, am learning to manually downshift using a button on uphill climbs.  I thought the touring mode was slow to downshift. Maybe the other modes ( sport, rain, eco) are quicker to downshift.

One hears the transmission making the shifts which is noticeable, maybe something we don't notice so much when manually shifting. 

Still getting used to using a parking brake as there is no way to park the rig in gear. Remembering to release the parking brake is also a learning curve. 

Riding home we had a strong headwind. The 1800 Wing felt underpowered... but then it has the largest F4 windscreen and the oversize tub screen. 

More ballast was needed as over 70 mph it felt like the tub was lifting in the air stream. A 36 count case of bottled water solved that issue. Didn't have a monkey with me, only the overnight gear which was too light. Lead shot is great for ballast but I hear that is getting hard to find.

The rear of the tub is dropped lower than the front, and it appears to tilt toward the bike, might have to correct that, yet the bike runs well. Wear on the bike tires is perfectly centered. 

More tweaking and sorting to do before we decide if we keep this rig and sell the BMW/GSA/EZS or keep the GSA/EZS set up and sell the Wing/Hannigan.

SwampFox has reacted to this post.
SwampFox

CCjon you will get the hang of it.  Wind from the car can be reduced by cutting windshield by 5" . 

I don't know about shifting with your age & shifting all your life. A new Wing   

A new Wing convert myself old BMW, Guzzi guy.

Uploaded files:
SwampFox and CCjon have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxCCjon

Thanks Keith, the Wing is growing on me. Liking the DCT more and more every day. 

Have ordered a custom 6" windshield and a flat tonneau cover from Hannigan. 

A larger fuel cell would be nice, range now is about 125-150 per tank. Once it's down to one bar, I start looking for a fuel stop.

Have an appointment with Russell Day-Long seats next spring for one of their seats. Have had RDL's  in the past, really enjoy them.  Will be the first time to have one custom made for me.  Ride in and ride out the same day with a new seat.

AJ, the photo makes it look like it leans in yet the tire wear is perfectly centered.

Jan

smitty901 has reacted to this post.
smitty901