Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Beginning the Build

The wait is over. After a quick trip the Daytona Bike Week with my Dad, I have started breaking the bike down to add the sidecar. Pete told me the crate of fun is 3-4 weeks out. While at Daytona I had Baker Drivetrain install a Direct Drive 6 Reverse. I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering a transmission upgrade. It is awesome. Set the rear legs (I have a springer) off to have the rake modification done. Expect them back in four weeks. Then I will start putting it all back together. I want to thank all on this forum who have given advice; I'm sure I will need a lot more.

Steve

Attached files

That thing looks like it exploded.... LOL 🙂

Looking forward to seeing photos from the build. Please post as you go......

Received pictures of MY sidecar from Liberty Motors. Should receive the front end back today. Bike goes back together this weekend and the rig should arrive within two weeks!!

Attached files

It's lookin' good!!!

Installed the front end. Notice the change in rake and trail.

Attached files

Baker Drivetrain Direct Drive 6 with Reverse. Highly recommended

Attached files

Gotta Stay Cool!!

Attached files

Liberty made a good looking tub for you.

Exactly how do you activate the reverse sequence? Have no persnal experience with these, want to learn.

The Baker reverse has two solenoids, visible as the cylinders on the top, right of the unit. One is the reverse selector, the other is a safety lockout.
In front of the right grip are two switches, one of which is spring-loaded. With the transmission in neutral and the clutch pulled, you hold the spring-loaded switch up with your thumb and push up the reverse select switch.
Easier than it sounds. Once in reverse, clutch and throttle work normally but you don't need much gas, usually just feather the clutch to back up, adding throttle only if you need to back up a hill. To get it out of reverse, pull in the clutch and push down on the reverse select switch and release the clutch slowly to ensure you are back in neutral.

The rig should ship from Seattle Monday or Tuesday. I can't wait for the real fun to begin.

So a big box arrived today and the contents are beautiful.

Attached files

Just a few more parts to attach and she's done!

Attached files

Beauty!!

Attached files

That rig is going ton be Gorgeous!!

Well, I am now the proud owner of a sidecar!!

Still have final alignment to figure out but so far so good.

Attached files

Lookin' good. Reeeeal good~

Finishing The Build.......

Well, it's time for a new discussion thread. The rig is finished. I have two minor electrical issues to sort out but I can no longer talk about building a sidecar rig.

I started this process with some trepidation due to the one-way door I was taking my bike through. Although I have always thought sidecars were cool and have wanted one for a long time, I was afraid that when all was said and done I would not like riding the result. Thankfully, that did not happen. I still have to rack up some miles to really know how to expertly ride a rig but what little time I have on it now has convinced me I made the right choice. I am looking forward to sharing the trips I make in other threads.

I have a lot of people to thank:
First, I would like to thank my Dad, Bob Mulcahy, 34-year Army Veteran, 20-years in Special Forces, Viet Nam '69-'70, for the inspiration and financial help to make this possible. He has shown me that three wheels was a way to extend the ability to ride a heavy bike; he is 87-years old and often rides 400 miles in one day on his trike. Hopefully, we will be riding together for a long time to come. Next ride is the Natchez Trace.
Danger Dave Kober, Special Forces sniper/Army Blackhawk pilot, Veteran of Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan, who is also a master mechanic. Without Dave, this rig would still be a bunch of parts spread out in my garage. Dave is an engineer at heart and nailed the alignment, first time, by following the directions provided by Pete.
Of course, I would like to thank, Pete of Liberty Motors. He makes an awesome rig.
Last but not least, I would like to thank my wife for putting up with me. No small task and she is great at it.

So over the course of the last 70+/- days...
Started with a 2003 Anniversary Edition H-D FLSTSI Heritage Softtail Springer.
Added a Baker Drivetrain DD6R six-speed with reverse.
Added Love Jugs cooling fans. One traffic jam in Daytona convinced me of the need for these.
Added modified front fork by Dullum Industries.
And, of course, added a Liberty Classic Sidecar.

The result is AWESOME!!!!!

------
SteveThePilot
'03 FLSTSI w/ Liberty Classic
Newest Newb here