Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

beemer outfit

I have seen that there are many older BMW/sidecar outfits for sale in the classifieds and would like one as of right now. I have been known to ride all over the South and even into a border state or two, lol. I may be riding with fiancee and/or dog.
This outfit would no doubt be well-engineered (think BMW), manueverable (think BMW), and look decent too (think metal, not plastic). Maintainance on the older machine would be fine and even fun. But I don't want to break down any more than I have to of course. And I would want to be able to cruise at interstate speeds if I chose to. How would one of these outfits as advertised on here fit the bill for what I want?

yep

Hi- I haven't seen what's advertised here in a while, but I have an R69S powered by a later model R100S motor and transmission. It pulls an old Velorex 560 and it is the best combo I've ever ridden. Plenty of power to go anywhere, look nice and vintage, and most of all easy to work on. My rig is on board a vessel heading to Europe as I write. I'll be riding it from Ireland to Beijing starting June 1st.
Regds,
Jim

Saxman,
Early '50s through late '60s Beemers are great bikes for sidecar use. Possibly the best. With sidecar gearing, which is almost impossible to get now and even harder to know how to install. The hot set-up now is a /2 ('60s) frame with a newer engine. The newer slab is more dependable and more powerful so you don't need the lower gearing. Old Beemer parts cost will blow your mind. For this kind of rig info, yahoo has a user group called slash2conversions. For the classic look, you'd be talking Steib sidecar. VERY expensive but built very well. New ones are built in Poland now. They are almost identical to the old ones. Next popular is probably a Ural SC; not as lovely or refined, but utilitarian; you can use it to move your mother-in-law into your new house. Big and heavy.

Check BMWMOA, IBMWR, Airheads, Vintage BMW, Duane Ausherman, Boxerworks, Blue Moon...Dauntless Motors... I'm starting to forget.... google

If you ever find a /2 outfit for sale, advertising a Hollandia hack, GRAB IT [if, of course, it's in decent shape]! Had 1959 R69S years back and had the GREAT good fortune of finding brand new Hollandia[made in the Netherlands(in approx. '66 thru '68 era)exclusively for BMW and RARE here; very few made]. It was, hands-down, the Most gorgeous/Best-built, all metal chair of the four rigs I've owned. TTFN.....Old Tom in NH