Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Bearing Upgrades

I am rebuilding my rig after a rear end collision. The bike will be completely torn down and the frame replaced. Should I consider any upgrades as I rebuild. My rig is a 1996 Honda Shadow Ace 1100 with a Motorvation sidecar. I am adding Progressive Suspension shocks and springs as part of the rebuild. Are there better steering head or swingarm bearings I should consider? Thanks

Well, I'm surprised no ones on this yet. I don't have any idea what comes from the factory with your bike, but if it comes w ball bearings, a lot of folks switch to tapered needle bearings. They're smoother and last much longer.

aye, i agree, tapered bearings last a lot longer and are much smoother. I replaced my springs with Progressive and redid all my bearings with tapered, and it steers beautifully, and GOODBYE front end diving.

I'm new to the boards, but no one is answering this message, because they are too busy yelling about some voting BS on the general discussion board.

Personally I have never had a problem with the stock bearings. If it is a machine that can be converted from ball to roller bearings that is a good move. Otherwise if I was concerned about it I would take th estock bearings to a bearing supply and ask if there is an upgrade that would be better than what you have. Of course this route could be risky in a way if the supply house was not above board with you. They are in the buisness of selling their wares ya know.
You may want to ask the question at SCT too , you will get a few responses there I think.See address below.
No folks that last paragraph was not spam. There are simply a lot of folks there who do not fequent this board.

Oh, almost forgot.With the addition of those progree=ssive shocks and springs you should see a diference. Maybe you can post how you feel about them after you have taken it out a few times.

Tim and Tonya wrote:
>>I'm new to the boards, but no one is answering this message, because they are too busy yelling about some voting BS on the general discussion board.<<

Tim and Tanya,
If you noticed I did ask if there could be a seperate section on this board just to discuss USCA stuff. As it is now the thread being where it is does disrupt the posts from those who have questions etc. I am confident that this will get sorted out.
There are those who do try to reply when they can and when they have something to say. In this case, to tell you the truth, I had little comment to make that I thought was beneficial. I think I have the most posts here at sidecar.com and Lonnie Cook (Hack'n) is not far behind. Others chime in too on a regular basis and that is good. yOU CAN SEE HOW ACTIVE ANYONE IS AT THE LEFT OF THE SCREEN WHERE IT LISTS THE NUMBER OF POSTS.
I would suggest that all of the responses by any of us need to be evaluated personally and with care. There will be different opinions on some issues and it is up to the individual to make his or her own evaluation and go from there.
Thanks for your concern , I share it with you.

As Claude said,
I don't jump in to reply unless I have something positive to add to the post. In this case there are always more expensive ways to go. Are they the best choice? Yes and no. How much money do you want to spend on problems that haven't arisen yet? How old is the bike? How many sidecar miles. How was it used? How is the rig to be used? In the Baja desert? Forget about the progressive springs and install a leading link. You're
OK on the rear shock choice. Just putting around and not a long rider? Use OEM's latest offering or what's there if it passes inspection.
There are a lot of tangibles to consider. No need to sweat all the small stuff that's causing no problems. Put it together and ride.

You're in a great weather area, so enjoy.

Lonnie

Claude asked for a new section ( If you noticed I did ask if there could be a seperate section on this board just to discuss USCA stuff. )
See it @ discuss USCA stuff, Oh you can delete your own post & threads also. And no moderators.
Dave