Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Batcycle??

Anyone know some or all of the answers.

Joyce,

I live in Phoenix and own a replica of the 1966 Batmobile. Yes, I am serious. You can check out our website gothamcitymotors.com.

Any-who, I m contemplating adding to my garage and doing something I am pretty sure no other Bat collector has attempted, that is to recreate the Batcycle from the 1966 TV show. There are several copies of the Batcycle from the movie made in 1966 (a Kawasaki), but the cycle I am thinking about was in just a single episode of the TV show, episode #22 "No He Ain't Yet", featuring the exploits of Penguin.

I am lead to believe the cycle and side car are a 1965 Harley, but I know nothing about Harley and in fact have never even owned a motorcycle, or driven one for that matter. I need help. I posted photos of the bike at http://gallery.me.com/twelvepalms#100111

My questions include:

1) What is the precise cycle and sidecar shown?
2) Is their a person or group that would know every excruciating detail about this exact hog? A Harley historical society? Side car organization? A group that covets mid 60s Harleys?
3) How best to find and possibly acquire the cycle and sidecar?
4) If need be, who could restore?

My scheme is half baked, but if it worked out could be fun. As you'll see from the website, we spend a lot of time and energy helping out local kids charities. This could be a fun addition to our little effort to bring smiles to faces.

Thanks for bending an ear and for any help you could provide.

Best regards,

Charles A. Keller, Sr

I guess the place to start [like everything "movie"] is to talk with Doug Bingham. Contacting HD's archivist would also help. It looks like a stock bike and sidecar from Harley with character windscreens.

It is a panhead motorcycle with correct sidecar the photos don't give a clear enough view as for the year of it, for me anyway. But the serial number on the left side of the motor case would start with the year of the bike followed by the model as in FL or FLH then the serial number as an example -> 65 FLH 2345

Depending on how accurate he wanted to get he could pick up a panhead bike find a sidecar or frame and get a tub from L&W in PA.

Taking a second look at the last picture again it may be a 65 guessing by the gas tank emblem also IF he needs a 65 with sidecar there was a guy in Oley Pa. this year with 2 65's and sidecars both original and matching paint on them asking $24,000 each......but I would hate to see one of them get transformed in to that their only original once.

Looks like a 65 FLH Panhead with correct sidecar. First year of the ElectraGlide (electric starter) and last year of the Panhead motor.
Stock except for the 2 windshields, police type rear light, computor and decals.

Lonnie

Yup, definitely a '65. Tank emblems are 63-65 and oil tank is '65 like Lonnie said. '63-64 used a horseshoe tank with smaller, kick start only battery inside. 65 had the larger battery on the right side for the electric start.