Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

bank angle sensor

Could someone explain why on an HD when a sidecar is installed a bank angle switch kit is also required. I was under the impression that HD's have a bank angle sensor that kills the ignition if the bike is dumped, is the sensor defeated for sidecar use and why?

Great Question! I called one of advertisers in The Sidecarist [the USCA club magazine], Del Zane owner of St Croix Harley Davidson / Ural. He said that the sensor was defeated so that if a person flew the chair, the sensor would not shut down the engine. Thanks, Del.

Many years ago, when I first took a trike class, I remember the instructor saying the bank angle sensor needed to be defeated on any non leaning bike, as it could shut down the engine on a hard turn. He explained that what ever hangs in the container suspended in oil could swing far enough to touch the side and close the electrical switch.

Makes more sense that cornering forces could trigger the switch, I can't imagine flying the car high enough to simulate a dropped bike.

The turn signals don't work correctly. They change the auto cancel for a time-only unit. I think that's why, anyhow.

HD FLHP has reacted to this post.
HD FLHP