USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Balast Weight

Hi All

I'm considering making a lead balast weight for my tub to get rid of the sand bags.  A one inch thick sheet with a surface area of 10 x 18 inches will give about 75 lbs which should suffice.  Has anyone done such a thing?

Thanks

King

King,

I have seen Steel Plates referenced as being used but I have not actually seen it done.

My friend Gordon Dale did with a piece of steel plate. I'll pm you his e-address....  Or not. Seems we don't have the means to do private messaging on here any longer. I'll see if he'll join in here.

Tom Wells aka Reardan Tom

Sounds like lead would work. I used steel. 12"flat stock. 12" wide and had it cut at 15"long if I remember right. I came out right about 50#.  Fits under the seat. Steel vendor can cut what ever to fit your needs, It was cheaper than shot and just one piece. Good luck

Gordon Dale

I once used simple roof lead sheet metal. about 1/8" or 3/16" thick, easy to fold or cut and molded right into the cavity below the seat.

I melted lead bars used for bullet making, used a turkey fryer type  propane burner,with a cast Iron pot on top. melted lead, and poured into cake pan , I modified a bit with a couple of bolts sticking out of it.

mounted perfectly to bottom of frame.

Rick.

For my rig I have two five gallon collapsible plastic water jugs.  That's about 40 lbs each, I just seat belt them in when not carrying a passenger. If a passenger is riding then the jugs either stay home.  If I pick up a passenger I just empty the jugs, collapse them a store them in the trunk.

Quote from WinginCamera on January 14, 2020, 4:41 pm

For my rig I have two five gallon collapsible plastic water jugs.  That's about 40 lbs each, I just seat belt them in when not carrying a passenger. If a passenger is riding then the jugs either stay home.  If I pick up a passenger I just empty the jugs, collapse them a store them in the trunk.

This is a great Idea. I especially like the convenience of being able to empty the "water bags" when a passenger comes along.

I was just looking at them on Amazon, they are under $10 each.