Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

back tire on front backwards????????

hello all , I have a 86 cavalcade with a friendship 3 sidecar I am running car tires on the rear of the bike and the car 16570/15 on bike and 155/13 on the hack.i've read somewhere that I should run a rear tire on the front and mountit backwards. Is this correct or do I have it backasswards. I bought a dunlop elite 3 in a rear size in a 16 inch to mount on the front. Which way should the tread run,with the arrow on tire or backwards??????????????????

It has something to do with belt separation under braking loads, I don't fully understand it but someone will chime in and splain it all to us.

i heard that a lot in the early 80's

guys were running rear tires on the front backwards because the front tires of the day wore out so fast and had such little tread to start with that they were dodgy in the rain.

still dont know if its true

to

go heer and ask some questions

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/honda-shadow-f16/

Rear tire treads have patterns that are aggressive toward traction while accelerating.
When used as a front tire and the directional arrow is reversed the aggressive pattern can be helpful for braking since the tire is no longer used for acceleration.
They will function well either way as a hack tire.

Lonnie

Additionally to Lonnie I may suggest you to look at the thread pattern.
At least for rain tires and BMW enduros you can observe that you have a V pattern on the back tire that is supposed to push out the water (and mud) to the sides at acceleration.
You compare them to solo front wheel tires and their V is opposite for to push out the water to the sides at breaking.
That is the second reason why to turn arround a back wheel when you use it in the front.

Other reasons to use back rires on the front side of a rig are that back tires have longer lasting rubber mixtures and their walls are way stronger and stiffer then standard front tires and the rig puts much more load on every wheel then any solo bike.

Have a nive time.
Sven

Jeff, I run a rear tire backwards on the front of my goldwing trike, and it works very well, running backwards is for better water chanelling, and more effective braking traction. Rick.