Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

B17 Sidecar

Has anyone seen this one up close and personal. I would like to know more about it.

Attached files

B17 Sidecar.docx (81.5 KB) 

Growing up the B-17 was my favorite plane. I flew in them a few times. I have not seen that. I like my planes full size. My sidecar well sidecars.

I know nothing about it, but can admire the workmanship that went into it.

Some 25 years ago there was a guy who farmed off of Dodson Road just north of I-90 that had a very similar eye catching rig. Right now his name doesn't come to mind but I could find out who it was if that's worth pursuing... We moved away from the area nearly 20 years ago.

Hi, I happened to stumble across this on Google last night. I am the builder of this sidecar. Is built it for Carey Hart. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Here is a link to my smugmug page that features the build. https://prddesign.smugmug.com/B17-sidecar

I stumbled across this forum on google last night and I thought I would answer the question. I build this sidecar for Carey Hart last year. if you have any questions please ask away.

Beautiful work Fab!

Amazing build!

Great website showing the full process!

Thanks for sharing!

I saw it in Dallas at the International Motorcycle show but can't tell much about it

Attached files

USCA Member AMA Member

I can answer anything you want to know.

My wife likes it. Most important question: How much does it cost?
Number 2: where are you?

Saw this at IMS in Cleveland. Great build, looks fantastic! I have detailed pics, but it looks like you don't need them if the builder is on the forum. 🙂 I was thinking if I rebuilt a tub, it might look something like this. Except maybe with machine guns.... LOL

MrMike - 2/18/2018 8:46 PM

My wife likes it. Most important question: How much does it cost?
Number 2: where are you?

I am in Pella Iowa. Cost is a tough question as most people don't understand to intensity of a project like this. Usually I break it down into the numbers and let you do the math because labor hours is more relatable. I have about 350hours of labor in this thing. my labor rate for one off metal work is $105/hr.

hope this helps.

I kind of figured it would be way out of my league. Sure is nice though.

You really can't quote labor price like. It's a labor of love, no one would pay $40,000.00 for a sidecar like that. It's fantastic, I love it, but the chainmail I made is about the amount of hours, and even at low hourly rates, I can't get anywhere near that price for it.

Speaking of which, anyone wanna buy a hardened steel chainmail shirt? LOL

The customer paid for every minute of this build. When a customer has an idea for a project and wants it bad enough to commission some else to build it. Why should the builder pay out of his pocket by giving free labor. He paid every minute and was stoked on the final product.

fabrycatedmetal - 2/20/2018 7:53 AM

The customer paid for every minute of this build. When a customer has an idea for a project and wants it bad enough to commission some else to build it. Why should the builder pay out of his pocket by giving free labor. He paid every minute and was stoked on the final product.

I agree with you 100% . If that is what he wanted and was willing to pay for it....more power to him. Not fair to say "No one would pay that kind of money for a side car like that" just because you don't have the funds to pay it.
He obviously did and was happy. Hell, Jay Leno would buy 6 of them and not bat eye. ....haha

Keep up the good work. That thing is beautiful...... 🙂

fabrycatedmetal - 2/20/2018 10:53 AM

Absolutely. It's a beautiful thing, and I was wrong to say 'no one'. There's someone who will pay for almost anything, and if I had the money, I'd certainly buy that. In fact, it's probably the only thing at the IMS show I took a lot of pictures of. I really loved it, the fabrication is excellent, the workmanship self-evident just from a glance at these pictures, and they don't do it justice. Every rivet was given care, and you can see that in the build. I so wanted to get closer than the ropes, too, but you just don't disrespect like that. Glad I have the opportunity to tell the builder, "Great Job." I accidentally got in the IMRG photo I forgot about because I was hanging around that area when they started setting up for it. LOL