Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Asymmetrical Tires

I have a 1200 GS + EML rig and its time to [once again] replace tires. Vredestein makes a great tire, the Quatrac 5, in my sizes, but it is asymmetrical.
Is it safe to use asymmetrical tires on a rig? All 3 wheels?
FWIW I need 165/65 14 for front and car, 175/60 or 175/65 15 for rear.
I really don't care that much about treadwear, although I have over 35,000 miles on the OEM Conti front and it is still going strong, but I think it has aged out, and Conti doesn't sell my sizes in the US
Thanks -
Duncan
2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

I just put a 165/60-14 Forenza on the back of wife's Burgman . Been running that size for several years. Not always the same brand
J.R.
USCA Sec.
Tex. Rep..

Duncan

Tire Rack has four different tires for your front/sidecar and eight different tires that will fit on the rear. I have had good luck ordering from them in the past, even overnight delivery.

http://www.tirerack.com

Tried an asymmetrical tire tread in the past when a regular tread was not handy. Was mounted on the rear, had no issues with it. Not sure it would make a difference or not if mounted on the front though.

Jan

Thanks Jan.

I always check out TireRack - and Discount tires and others, when shopping for tires. One of the things that gives rise to my question is the extremely high rating for the Vredestein Quatrac [which has sizes to fit on all 3 wheels] - especially compared to the other tires available. The Vredestein also gets high ratings in European tyre tests. Not so the Bridgestone, Conti or Dunlop options

I used Vredestien SnowPlus on my old rig - they were great for an adventure rig: pulled like a tractor, got rid of mud and crud, and lasted. Bit they aren't available any longer and wouldn't be right for my rig now.

It's too bad neither Conti nor Michelin import their very highly rated all-season tires to the US.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I'm leery of asymmetrical on a 3-wheel rig. Maybe a Vredestein T-Trac

Thanks

Hey, Duncan, good to hear from you. Smile

Asym's are, to some extent, kind of a marketing ploy since they derive from racing tires and offer not a whole lot to the ordinary car driver, even a "spirited" car driver. But they sure do look cool! I used them on my Z28 Camaro and thought the car looked amazing. And they work fine. But do they, perhaps, corner a little better in one direction than another? Maybe. But I really doubt you'd be able to tell the difference if you were to run down the same stretch of road first with a set of Asym's, then a set of Sym's, both is the same size, with the same UTQG rating and the same inflation levels.

This is just my personal preference, but I don't care for the way the Asym's look on the front of a rig. On the rear and car, yes, especially if you get opposing patterns. But kinda weird looking on the front. However, in answer to the question you posted, they should function fine and shouldn't affect the setup or handling of your EML rig.

Thanks Drone.

Hope you can make it out to the rally. Be nice to see you and Kirby.

Duncan

Sorry, DH, don't think I'll be there. 2500 miles one way is a bit greater commitment than my butt is willing to make.

DRONE: Saw you are selling your rig. Ride it out to the Rally via the slab and/or the UP [given the way you drive, shouldn't take you more than 4 days ] with a "For Sale " sign on it. If you don't sell it you can swing down to Tennessee and ride the TAT back home. Or at least to Colorado [IIRC that's as far as Elmer was able to take his rig before he ran into too much single-track].

Besides, that would give you a chance to one-up me and DaveBig.

Duncan