Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Are sidecars stable?

I have had a stroke that makes me sort of dizzy. I'm fine sitting down such as when driving a car. As a lifelong motorcyclist I want to get back into the wind. Is a sidecar rig stable? A motorcycle by itself is out of the question.

We've set up many rigs for stroke recoverers, paraplegics, amputees and others with physical shortcomings to enable them to get back in the wind. A sidecar rig is a good choice for a stable platform as long as one has adequate upper body strength to remain upright steer and control a brake .

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Thanks Lonnie. A '98 Virago 1100 is available cheap. Would that make a decent tug, or would something with a chain be better. Sitting low in the saddle should help me. At six foot four anything low is cramped.

The 1100 Virago isn't the easiest bike to hack. One with a full perimeter double loop frame will accept a sidecar a lot easier. Shaft, belt or chain drive works, whichever one prefers. Chain is the messiest but the easiest to change gearing on if needed.

Lonnie

Tug, I have a later version--a V-Star 1100 and it is a fine tug. You will sidecars quite stable; Sidecar riders generally are not. Welcome to the lunatic fringe of motorcycling!

Al Bond
05 V-Star with Texas/Ural hybrid
08 KLR 650
09 FLHTP

Al, before this stroke I was heavily involved with long distance riding. I gave up one lunatic fringe for another. Guess I'm just a lunatic at heart. 🙂

-- Ray

I to had a stroke 8 years age. Lost the usage of right side (leg & arm). It took me over a year to get some (85%) back. I was on bikes since i was 16.

I wnet thru the Washington State trike/sidecar 3 day school, then bought a 2004 Moto Guzzi Cali and put a M72D hack on it.

I love it....but I can only ride 3 hours at a time.

Take the school, take some time and get use to ridinng a hack

Attached files

DKDK, you hit where it hurts! I love Guzzis, especially from the 80s and 90s. I've had several. Those old Italian's have a soul that the Jap bikes never seemed to have. That said, it's the Jap bikes with their appliance-like feeling that took me all over the USA and Canada. I'll be on the lookout for another Guzzi.

-- Ray

This is what I'll start with. Thats a 1979 Yamaha SR500 connected to a Spirit of America sidecar.

-- Ray

Attached files

Enjoy it. I also did some LD stuff, a couple of IBA rides on my 97 Wing. You are to be respected for continuing to ride. I've often told my wife, who does understand, that death for me occurs when I can no longer ride, not when my heart stops. It really is that big a deal.

Al Bond
05 V-Star 1100 with Texas/Ural hybrid

Tugboat - 1/20/2012 10:41 PM

This is what I'll start with. Thats a 1979 Yamaha SR500 connected to a Spirit of America sidecar.

Congratulations on your new rig, Tugboat. We warn you: You'll never be quite the same again. Surprised

Take some time learning to drive the rig; be sure there is some ballast in the car. Also: A training class is a great way to start. Marcus in Lufkin, Texas has an XS650/Spirit rig as one of his trainers.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Al I feel the same and also have an understanding wife. I got knocked off my harley down in Florida on Oct. 15th 2010 and lost a leg so when I got the "peg leg" I hung a sidecar on the bike. Works pretty well and I love sidecars anyway!

Yes, sidecars are stable, I would start with a bike that a real bike specific not universal mounts are made. (yes we have virago mounts) I would however recomend going with a bit newer bike that you can get parts for with out problems. You will also most likley want to modify the steering on the bike so that it is lighter. So again make sure steering modifications are made for your bike. As to the sidecar, are you going to have a passenger? does the passenger have any mobility issues? This makes a difference as to what sidecar to go with. Some sidecars are not very easy to get in and out of. Make sure that the sidecar is a good match for the bike. You would not want to be a very light duty sidecar on a heavy bike.
I would be glad to help you figure out what bike and sidecar to go with.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Hey Tugboat, love the new ride. Looks like something I would have. You will love the experience and you will never be the same again. I got lucky on my sidecar in that God had a plan for me and my grandson. The rig is a perfect color match and all I did was buy the hack off Ebay. Good luck and keep riding. Oh and I like the long distance riding too, I have one IBA ride down and hope to do a 1500 in 36 hours this fall.

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

I would love to have that beauty in my shop,...good luck, crawf.