Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Anyone in Virginia out there?

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

Hi herwing
I saw about 7 rigs in MB, more than normal. Hey, will you be in the bike run at ROA civic center Saturday for that cop that got beat up real bad.$20 donation &$7 for food. Silent auctions etc. Supposed to be around 600 bikes.
I used to live in Lexington, then moved to Pearisburg in 87. My wife and I like the run to Staunton, to that HD.We ride to Salem VA hospital twice a year and the ride to the wall from Dublin

Hi HOG,

Sorry I didn't see this in time to reply about the event in Roanoke. We were down in the GA mountains riding. There was also a weekend event at the Harley dealership in Staunton. One of our favorites, Keith Bryant was performing there. But we had already made plans to meet friends in GA.
We came back through TN and NC. We rode through Deals Gap and rode the Parkway home yesterday. It was a really nice trip, but I don't think that I saw a rig anywhere during the entire trip.
My husband does the ride to the wall, but I've never gone. It always seems like I have something else that I have to do.
We lived in Lexington for four years before we moved out into the county. Of course, my husband still works there.
Let us know sometime when you're planning a ride to Staunton and maybe we can tag along.

Connie

Hey, glad u had a great and safe trip. There were OVER 1000 bikes in ROA at the benefit and I saw 3 other rigs. Two were two seaters, with one having a car seat in it already and the the third was a HD similar to mine. My wife now wants a 2 seater to safely carry our 9 month grandson. We now go on only short trips so as to not scare him and to get him used to the helmet and the noise. He only has fussed at stop signs.I need to find a Goldwing with a 2 seater rig, and a another rig for my son BMW.
I called California Sidecar today and No dealer they except in Baltimore has a demo set to test. Also they said they are 6 months backed up on sidecars! If u guys ever swing thru Pearisburg, I own a store right on 460 business 22 miles from Blacksburg and 18 miles from WV state line.

My granddaughter is only a month and a half old, so I don't think she'll be riding in the sidecar any time soon, but she is on her first camping trip this week. Where'd you find a helmet for an infant?

I've never been in Pearisburg, but you never know!

Connie

Ibought Ean's helmet at Myrtle Beach bike week. They had a web site...www.helmets-n-more.com. We had his name air brushed on. What type of parrot do you have? In that store I have in Pearisburg, we sell gas, propane, pop and snaks, A Subway and we also sell fresh and saltwater fish and BIRDs, we've sold several parrots and have many other birds.
David

Thanks for the helmet info; I'm sure that we're gonna need one for Megan in the not too distant future.

I have a Quaker parrot - a green chicken as he says. He was being a very good boy today and said, "Thank you," when I fed him. Birds have always been my favorite kind of pet. I have never understand the appeal of smelly, furry things. Even if they didn't smell so bad, I couldn't stand having hair all over everything. Anyway, I got Rascal in Daytona Beach when he was still a baby; and he rode home in my sidecar. He's mean as a polecat, but he's so funny that I sorta love him anyway.

Connie

Well my wife saw that 2 seat rig at Roanoke and now I have 2 complete bikes with sidecars. My new bike is a 1988 goldwing with a 2 seater Hannigan, and a trailer to match. Drove it back from Columbia, SC last week.

Okay, now that you've got a Goldwing, you might be more inclined to want to be accompanied by another Wing rider. If you head up this way with that new rig, I would sure like to see one with a car seat. I don't think that my daughter-in-law would consider letting us take Megan for a ride this year, but a year or so down the road, things might change.

Enjoy the new rig!

Connie

Hope this weather breaks so I can test it out better. I replaced the front tire and notice that one side brakes was close to needing replaced so I ordered two sets and will put it all back together again soon. The car seat that I thought would work, doesn't leave enough room for my wife. I need a smaller booster type seat. I live in a 3 stop light town, 25mph, so we have taken Ean on short rides sitting next to Gloria. He's almost 10 months old but he is 24#'s and enjoys the rides.

Was just thru that way. Went to a wings show in fredricksburg Friday and back Saturday. Just registered for the Salem GWWRA Convention in October.Anyone going?
Two weeks ago I left for Nags Head on Sunday, went to Myrtle Beach on Monday, worked on my house Tues and came home on Wednesday. I have put almost 4 thousand miles on the goldwing rig an only 30 miles on the harley rig. If this keeps up I guess I will sell my HD?

Ayear since my last post on this subject. I recently bought a third hack thru ebay. an 1996 gl1500 GW w/hannigan 2+2. We added A/C to this one already. My grandson has now turned 2 yr old and would sleep in the bike all night if we would let him. He beggs granny " bike pleeeeze", If she says yes I put him in the side car and he says helmet and then scoots over to let granny in. We took him on a poker run my store ran to raise $$ for the fire dept. 80 miles and he LOVED the ride!
Leaving soon for MB bike week. ANYONE going?? If I didnt own so many condos/houses down there i WOULD probably go somewhere else. MB really screwed up spring BW and I doubt many will be there for the fall rally.

Hi Hog.
Own any condos in Daytona?

We had planned to go to Myrtle this past spring, but opted instead to go to the Smokies to meet up with friends from Indiana. We won't be going to Myrtle this fall, either, but we will be going down to Daytona for Biketoberfest. Any chance you'll be headed down for that? We go down I-81 and then pick up I-77 at Wytheville, so we'll be passing by pretty close to you. I'm not sure exactly when we'll be heading out, but it will probably Oct. 10 or 11.

Now is the time to be investing in Condos. I have heard that real estate in Florida is very cheap but the TAXES will kill ya!! I own 3 condos at SeaMist in MbWhen u past Christianburg exit 118 youll be 30 miles east of me, an as u past Dublin exit 98 you will be 22 miles east of me. Have a safe trip.. Maybe catch u at the wingfest at Salem in Oct?

We haven't been to the Salem rally for several years, but you never know! If we are definitely heading down there, I'll let you know.

Of course, you know that instead of coming back to VA from Myrtle, you could just keep heading south to Daytona!
I always love going to Biketoberfest, but hate knowing that it is the last hooray for the year!

My wife works at Volvo in Dublin and she only gets bike week off.I don't try to ride anywhere without her. At the Salem Wing Ding I will be there fri/sat as she'll be working but we'll both be there Sat.{weather permitting] She retires in 5 yrs and we hope to do alot more travelling, so biketoberfest is definitely in our future. I f I ever get my passport, I hope to ride to Niagra Falls. If she can get her 4 weeks vac. all at once we plan to circle the USA.
Have FUN in Florida!!!!

We did a Niagra Falls trip several years ago. Nearly froze our behinds off, but it was fun. We did a ride to the west coast in 2002. We took in a bunch of National Parks. It was a great trip, but a trip trip that long takes a lot of the starch out of you!
We'll blow the horn when we go past the Volvo plant!

If we make to Salem, we'll try to stop by for a howdy!

I notice you are from Dublin - I've signed up for the sidecar/trike class at the community college in October. Being so close to you, have you attended this or heard any comments about it?

Good luck on a tour around the US when your wife retires - sounds like fun.

Bill

Are u going to the Dublin in Va? Yes I took the class. I bought an 2003 ultra HD hack in 03 and rode a year before I could get into the class a New River Community College. It was well worth it!! Have u bought a hack yet? Holler if u are at the Va NRV and I'll try to swing by and say hey.

Yes, I'm in the October 9-10-11 class at the New River Community College/New River Mall in Christianburg - I got the last slot. I'm glad to hear your positive comments.

I've had a Hannigan GTL on a GL1800 for about 3 years, but I removed the car and EZ-Steer for 17 months. Re-attached the car in April, and am trying to decide whether to have the EZ-Steer attached again. Hoping to get some guidance on the EZ-Steer at the class.

This thread is about looking for riders in Virginia - I see so few hacks anywhere, but I did see one with a couple on a reddish GL1800 rig at the BRP Waterrock Knob visitor center last month. I wish I had gotten his contact information. They may have been from Roanoak, but I just do not remember.

Thanks for the feedback on the class. Come by if you get a chance. Based on what I see on the road, I suspect hacks might be in the minority and easy to spot, but mine is white.

Bill

I did not know that the class was moved to Christiansburg. I have two gl1500 96 &88 with Hanigan 2+2 on both. one is purple and the other tan. The Salem Wing Thing is 8-9-10 so I will be going by the mall on the way to Salem, Va. Do u live in Ga now? It is rare to see hacks around here. I have 3 and one boy has another in Pearisburg. I only see them on I-81 passing by!

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next