Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Anyone in Virginia out there?

Page 1 of 5Next

Just recently joined after adding a sidecar about a year ago , havn't seen another sidecar around. Living in the Hampton Roads area and looking for any upcomming events.
Eddie

Hello Eddie!
I'm out towards the other side of Virginia, near Roanoke. I know there are some sidecarists along the Eastern Shore areas, as well as the Richmond area, and points in between.
As for events, its late in the season, but the Hack'd reunion was this weekend. I had planned on going, but didn't make it due to family issues. Next weekend is a Russian sidecar gathering at a KOA campground in Asheville, NC. Next year in June the USCA Nat. Rally is in Boone, NC. Check out Sidecar Talk E-group on Yahoo Groups.
If you get out this way, let me know, I'll try to meet up with you.
Hank Pfister
Copper Hill, VA
1984 BMW R100RS/Motorvation Formula ll, 1973 BMW R75/5/Dnepr

I also see hackamites on rare occasions here in the old dominion. Located in Fairfax City. I attached/detach my hack as the occasion calls for.
if your coming this way or I toward you will try to link up.

Hello Eddie & other Virginians,
I'm out here in the Warrenton VA area and have just purchased a Velorex 565 which I'm in-process of mounting on my 85 Wing. I'm a newbie to the sidecar sport but really looking forward to it.
A current battle with a blown back has sidelined the project but looking to get back on it once this minor distraction is over. I'll give you a shout when I've got it together (and have a few miles under my belt as well).
Regards
Bljacque aka Jack

Hello Eddie,

I'm about an hour north of Roanoke, so I guess that makes me about an hour's drive from Hank. Man, you guys live in some heavy traffic areas! I'm in the country with lots of backroads to ramble and I'm just a short drive from the Blue Ridge parkway. My husband (two wheels) and I are heading out in the morning for Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach. Probably gonna freeze, but it's supposed to be nice in FL. I always keep my eyes peeled for other rigs; maybe, I'll see some of you Virginians down there!

Connie

Hello Eddie/Jack/Hank:

I'm in Nokesville between Manassas and Warrenton. Commute on my Urals (up 29) to Reston once or twice a week.

BTW: Had a Velorex 562 mounted on a GL1000 (also had it on an old Yamaha XS-2 650).

Used to live in Fairfax but fled south...need to flee again!

mark chamberlin has reacted to this post.
mark chamberlin

For my fellow Virginians. I am planning on making the national rally in Boone NC next June 21-24. So ... we could make a run of it. If you are thinking of going please advise.

Originally written by redsoxcah on 10/18/2006 12:24 AM

For my fellow Virginians. I am planning on making the national rally in Boone NC next June 21-24. So ... we could make a run of it. If you are thinking of going please advise.

Northern VA to NC on a Ural? ...Ummm no.

But thanks for the invite! 🙂

Ok so we take the back roads to Boone. LOL. I have thought about having a URAL to take take my dogs riding and riding in the national forest since they seem to be well setup for the more rough road riding. What is your experience with your URAL?

Originally written by redsoxcah on 10/21/2006 2:58 PM

Ok so we take the back roads to Boone. LOL. I have thought about having a URAL to take take my dogs riding and riding in the national forest since they seem to be well setup for the more rough road riding. What is your experience with your URAL?

I've enjoyed them - but they are not interstate bikes. One is cursed (see Tourist link below) but gets a consistent 59 mpg running solo. They're a lot of fun but the meticulous and frequent maintenance gets old after awhile. One of these days I want to trade the green one for an Enfield Bullet (if I have to do all that maintenance - at least it's only on one cylinder 😉

My wife and I are in sw Virginia, near Bristol. My wife is interested in trying a sidecar rig.She has had a couple of trikes but wants to check out a hack.Her last bike was a Sportster with a Voyager kit.We have only ridden a Ural around a parking lot so no road experince with one.Would like to try one for a bit more of a run to see if it is what she wants for sure.Don't know of any sc people in the area. Does anyone here know anyone?

Don't know how close the USCA's Virginia State rep is to you. Check out it out here: http://www.sidecar.com/Maps/virginia.htm

According to the latest membership report, the USCA has 20 member is VA and I'm sure a lot more folks just visiting at sidecar.com.

The annual emergency and friendship directory list 12 folks willing to chat or help out in an emergency.

Check out http://www.sidecar.com/membership.asp

Hello Matt & Other Virginians,
Well I'm back on track of getting my velorex (565) and Goldwing (85) together. First I have a few things to do on my wing i.e. new fork seals; rebuild on the clutch & brake cyls and going to "hard-wire" the stator cables, basicly eliminate the connector. Figure it's better to do this work while I can put the bike on the lift as I expect it won't be so easy once it's mated w/the sidecar. Naturally all this is just in time for winter 🙁 This "bad back" crap is the pits! BTW Matt, I blast through Nokesville every morning (early) on my way to Quantico, hope to be doing in on my very own hack in the not too distant future. Not sure what your rig looks like but I think I saw it parked once at the old Southern States building in Nokesville once. Possible? Anyway, at least in the immediate future, if you're on your hack & see a guy in a Green Bonniville or on a black Honda VTX waiving at you it'll be your's truly! Have to agree with you about "having to flee again" this traffic is getting insane (not that it wasn't so awhile back).

Bljacque aka Jack

Originally written by Hawgsweat on 11/12/2006 3:46 PM

My wife and I are in sw Virginia, near Bristol. My wife is interested in trying a sidecar rig.She has had a couple of trikes but wants to check out a hack.Her last bike was a Sportster with a Voyager kit.We have only ridden a Ural around a parking lot so no road experince with one.Would like to try one for a bit more of a run to see if it is what she wants for sure.Don't know of any sc people in the area. Does anyone here know anyone?

You might try the IMWA forum:
http://imzwa.secureforum.com/login

or the Russian Iron forum:
http://www.russianiron.com/ironforums.htm

Originally written by bljacque on 11/12/2006 8:09 PM

Hello Matt & Other Virginians,
Well I'm back on track of getting my velorex (565) and Goldwing (85) together. First I have a few things to do on my wing i.e. new fork seals; rebuild on the clutch & brake cyls and going to "hard-wire" the stator cables, basicly eliminate the connector. Figure it's better to do this work while I can put the bike on the lift as I expect it won't be so easy once it's mated w/the sidecar. Naturally all this is just in time for winter 🙁 This "bad back" crap is the pits! BTW Matt, I blast through Nokesville every morning (early) on my way to Quantico, hope to be doing in on my very own hack in the not too distant future. Not sure what your rig looks like but I think I saw it parked once at the old Southern States building in Nokesville once. Possible? Anyway, at least in the immediate future, if you're on your hack & see a guy in a Green Bonniville or on a black Honda VTX waiving at you it'll be your's truly! Have to agree with you about "having to flee again" this traffic is getting insane (not that it wasn't so awhile back).

Bljacque aka Jack

Well good luck and keep us posted on the progress. Once you're up and running maybe we can get together for a ride.

What I meant was that she wanted to try a sidecar bike in general. She is not especially interested in a Ural.

How about taking one of the Sidecar/Trike Education Program courses offered in VA?
http://www.esc.org/content/05%20Motorcycle%20and%20Sidecar%20Trike/STEP%20National%20Schedule.htm

A great way to try before you buy. They supply the rigs in most cases.

Without a doubt I would recommend the sidecar class to anyone thinking about a sidecar rig or trike. Just took a class this past August in VA at the Loudon Campus. They provided the rig, the training and the FUN. There is absolutely a complete new set of rules and skills to learn when riding a sidecar. If C. Simmons is teaching the class you will have a great time. Fly the Chair!

I spoke to Cundiff Simmons several years ago at the Goldwing rally in Salem. He told me then that he would go anywhere that a group was interested in learning to drive rigs. I don't know if the situation has changed since that time. Actually, the second time that I saw him in Salem he had a whole tractor-trailer load of rigs, but couldn't unlock the trailer, so I don't think that he held a class that time.

Hawgsweat - I'm a long drive north of your location, but we do pass through Bristol sometimes when we're heading to the Smokies, maybe you could ride along with us sometime, if you're interested. We plan to attend the rally at Grandfather Mountain next summer, if you're going, maybe we could travel part of the way together. We usually ride the Parkway when heading that way, if I get my way. Anyway, the rally would be a great place to look at rigs and talk to the folks who love them. I had a Voyager for a short time, too. I hated the thing, in my opinion, it was very little like driving a rig. I sold it real fast and put my sidecar back on my bike.

Well went down to Boone NC for the rally two weeks ago (23-25 June) a great time had by all that I could see. A lot of interestig rigs and a number of them for sale. I was fortunate I left my approval system (my lovely bride) back in VA for family so I did have the stamp of approval with me.
I met Ed from NewPort News area and folks from all over the US. Lot of learning going on in having the opportunity to be around so many types of rigs and so many folks who are also wrench types.
will attend again and hope to see you there. Don't need your rig to have a great time as many came via motorhome, trailer etc for the campground.

See you soon on the road.

Page 1 of 5Next