Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Anybody know what sidecar this is?

Good day to all, new to sidecars and this forum. I picked up what looks to be set up for a Harley Davidson. I have researched sidecars the last few days but can’t find anything that resembles this thing. There is no ID tag that I can find, only stampings are on two plates that say USS (guessing its the steel companies casting). I’m thinking about mounting it to my 71 R75/5. Research has shown that a subframe is needed as the factory frame walls are not thick enough to support the SC. I’ve been to dmcsidecars website and see that they make a kit but haven’t been able to find pictures.

Any input on the manufacturer or bike configuration is greatly appreciated.
I’m not 100% on mounting this thing, if someone is interested in a purchase or trade, I’m open to that.

Mainly looking to gain information and knowledge so I can make the best decision I. Regards to this build.

Cheers,
Mike

Attached files

Hi Mike:
Yes - you will need a subframe. It will involve bolts or members of some sort that tie both sides of the frame with the top mounts - both front and back. The important thing is that your bottom two mounts be the same distance from the ground. I didn't have that piece of information when I mounted a Watsonian GP to my '86 R90/6. Every time I made an adjustment on the top two members it changed the toe-in.
As I recall I tied the front and rear bottom motor mounts together with a piece of 1/4" flat bar and used a similar piece of material that U-bolted across the rear frame tubes behind the battery box (or was it through the battery box) As I recall I had to relocate the bike battery. On the upper front I U-bolted similar stock across the front frame downtubes. That mounting was done in the early 1990's so my memory is fuzzy on the details.
I don't have a firm idea on the sidecar although it looks like a Swallow - made in England. It will be a good weight match for the R75 but you will benefit from a lower gearing in the rear of the Beemer.
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good usable advice here. Membership in the USCA - who sponsors this Forum is always an option.

Mike,

I'm not expert but I believe that it is an "International" but to be fair that design has been "splashed" several times and there are several variants. Either way good luck with your project.

The sidecar is an international as Al stated. We can help with the needed sub frames for your /5. Do not attempt to use "univeral" type clamps for two reasons, one, your down tube is oval, not round and second the frame tubes are your bike are a lot thinner then you would think they would be. These frames are known to fail when just clamps are used.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30