Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Any '03 Electra Glide/Champion Daytona Rigs??

I have an '03 Electra Glide and am trying to attach a Champion Daytona S/C. Having a problem with rear of S/C riding too high and front riding too low (2"!!). It also pulls to the right. Using TILT all the way to the left helps a lot, but this can't be the correct setup. Company has pretty much quit answering my questions and I now have a $7000 useless wheel attached to my Harley. Any similar rigs or problems like this. BTW, I am new to sidecars.

Go to the home page and dowhload some of Hal Kendall's books and start reading. Then go to Sidecar Industry Council.com and check out the tech info.
You probably need to start out from scratch on your installation. Place level bike and level sidecar on a level surface in the mounting position. Bike should be preloaded to expected operating weight. Any leveling device (if so equipped) should be placed in the center position of it's travel until sidecar is mounted. You can start with about 1" of toe-in measured from below the front and rear axles of the bike. Place a straight edge along the sidecar wheel as high up as possible and measure from the center of the wheels below the axle, to the straight edge, with the front wheel positioned straight ahead. I usually sight along both sides of the front wheel to the back tire to check this. There are other ways used that are more complicated to measure front and rear wheel alignment but by and large Sidecar mounting is not an exact science. All bikes and sidecars are a little less than perfectly aligned. We're working with an asymetrical conveyance to begin with, aren't we?
Set up like this with maybe one to one and a half degrees of bike leanout from the car, you should have something much more docile than what you described in your post. You will probably want raked triple trees to complete the setup because you have a lot of width on the right side to drive around in the turns. I assume you already have a steering damper installed.