Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Another project. 2013 Junak 121, Velorex tub and custom frame

PreviousPage 2 of 2

A month later (yesterday):

Hack

The most beautiful hack that left my workshop. And the first made from scratch to windscreen finish. Everything done using all my experience and know-how, without experiments. Only the front lamp is slightly too big, but it's intentional. that is the only available lamp that looks like position lamp but can have 21W bulb and will not melt. In Poland it's forbidden to mount a headlight/foglight on sidecar, but the position one is mandatory. So we mounted Simson lamp that is homologated as position and can be legally equipped with slightly stronger bulb. Sidecar frame is ry high over the ground, and it's the best I could do. The next work will be lifting my SC to the same height, allowing it to ride anywhere.

I forgot my camera and my phone (me taking photos on this pphoto) did very bad quality pics. So now I have only one picture taken by Roman (hack owner). After taking this pic, he did his first meters on 3 wheels. Super fun for me to observe it, then I gave Roman a course. How to use clutch, how to ride straight, brake, some big left turn, then tighter, then some right. You know, everybody had to learn it, not everyone had a teacher 🙂 Afrer course, Roman arrived home doing about 300 kilometers, today he did about 100 with fresh theory in head. We will meet on a Friutgarden Rally 25th of luly, so I will have an opportunituy to take more photos

Congratulation Igor,
Your s/c suspension looks much better then the stupid "rubberband like" MZ "Superelastic" suspension .The MZ always hit right into branches and snow blocks dropped from trucks. So that higher ground clearance will do a good job in winter and in the forest. It will be a tippy rig, so Roman should use some ballast in the back of the trunk. 60 to later 30kg should work fine.
Nice work and may the "Janek Igorowitsch" Junak last many years and KM.
Masseltov.
Sven

PS: I would love to come by in the late summer, but am sure that the "boss" will have something against it. Stay Junggeselle and You will not have such troubles. 😉
"To marry is the desperate attempt to solve problems that would not exist without marriage!" :O Original tone Hubert and Monika from Swizerland who lived 42 years in "wild marriage" after both were devourced.

Suspension is very rigid two-side swinarm with one-side damper, that I saw in some hack. Arms are 15x40x1,5 profile, so they are naturally rigid in vertical pos. This swingarm worked in my first hack. I reinforced it to work as one-side and rode it about half year, so it's prooved. Laid in my shop for about two years, so let it serve.

Whole hack rides surprisingly stable as for such high placed tub. 0kg of ballast for me (offroad, I tested) and 40 kg for Roman is really ok. These lightweigt bikes need less anvils in car. My first hack, that I learned to ride, had 8" less track and the car weighted less than half of this. And 30 kg was enough to ride without problems. 30 kg in this makes it very very hard to flip. Also it does about 40mph max, so even a bigger bump can't catapult it.

And it rides like on rails, much better than mine. I would have to correct my car's geometry after all these mods, especially after equipping it in LPG tank. As always, the shoemaker’s children are ill-shod (in Polish, literally, "the shoemaker walks barefoot").

Organizer of Fruitgarden Rally wants me to to make a hack for his younger son, so 2015 can be my first year to make rigS for someone else 🙂

Good job Igor!! Roman should be very happy. With both your work on his rig and the lessons. He's off to a good adventure.

Congratulations Igor,
Your word is runing out and gives its first fruits.
In Costa Rica we use to say "Casa de herrero, cuchillo de palo." = In the house of the blacksmith the knife is made out of a wooden club.
I have done too many automation proyects to count them, but my wife blames me for an electric farm gate since 1994 when I made a manual one...the motor and accesory is in my shop since about 2002 and I burnt it at a client already once in 2009 (shortened 3rd leg on powersupply in a portal crane was impossible to find and when I tested the phases everything was fine until the first movement..brzrzrzrzrt...)...well anyway the gate is rotten and needs first to be newly made.

A well matured swing arm! Just as a good wine!
Thanks a lot for the laugh.
Good luck with future proyects and may Roman learn fast and safe.

Big question mark>? Did you convert your own rig to LPG gas as fuel? TELL MORE, PLEASE!
Sven

(PS> anecdote that should not be followed> may Roman not follow Roman Krause's example. He died in 1986 only 2 weeks after I told him he was not ready for a 750 bike. Roman Krause overtook with 160kmh on top of a hill and hit the hidden bike that came ahead with 130kmh. He caused 1 further dead and a paralysed woman with amputaded left leg. A well meant present from his father turned out to become a real nightmare. Motorcycles in wrong hands become dangerous.)

n

m,

g

gfd

My hack and Roman's hack. In his, track is something wide comparing to bike's wheelbase. And thanks to smaller engineguard, looks even wider. Also many Macgyver's patents that overgrow my bike like an ivy, make distance between bike and tub look tighter than in clean Roman's hack.

Sven, for LPG conversion I will set a separate topic in Technical Discussion.

PreviousPage 2 of 2