USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

another newbie question

I recently got a Hannigan GTL attached to my 1800 Gold Ging and the wing has a Rivco trailer hitch attached, great hitch, but it does not allow the removal of the rear tire through the rear fender. I used to take off the rear tire by laying the Wing on its right side, the crash guards prevent damage to any of the plastic and handlebars, really the easiest way to change the tire on the Wing. Well, laying the wing on its side is no longer an option. How have other 1800 riders with trailer hitches solved the rear tire changing problem??
Thanks
Andy

i'm "talking out of school" but could you put some weight in the side-car and jack the bike up so that the front tire of the bike is on the ground as well as the sidecar tire, and the rear tire of the bike up enough to remove?

Andy I use a $15 Harbor Freight scissors jack to lift the rear(or front) of my V-Star 1100 off the ground to do tyres etc. It's small enough to store in a cordura bag along with a plug kit and small 12V compressor and toss in a saddlebag.

I've got a GL1800 with a GTL sidecar and am running a car tire on the rear of the bike. I'm also using a Bushtec hitch on the bike. I bite the bullet and remove the hitch to pull the rear tire. It's a pain but I haven't come up with a better way.

You could switch to one of the hitches that we use to make before 3 different companies stole the design. Add on is the most common copy of our hitch which every part interchanges with the hitch we use to make. With this hitch once the rear panel is off of the bike, 4 easy to get at bolts that require only one wrench and the center of the hitch removes so that you can take the tire out the rear of the bike. Of course if you change to a car tire on the rear of the bike you will not be needing to do this often and a good high lift floor jack may lift the bike high enough to remove the wheel.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Thanks for all the responses, but so far none have answered my question. Using a scissors jack to raise the bike and tilt the whole rig to the right might be the answer, will try this with the floor jack I have. If that works I will be looking for a floor jck that will raise the bike up far enought
TheRivco hitch I now have will not allow the removal of the wheel from the rear and I would rather not spend the $300+ to buy a Bushtec hitch and remove the Rivco I now have since it is frame mounted and as best I remember I had to modify something on the frame to mount it?. Although this may be the only option. I believe that at least one model Bushtech hitch has a removable rear section without dismantling all the hitch attachment points from the frame.
I hope someone with an easy solution steps up.
Thanks
Andy