Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Another new guy needs help...

New member today, looking for some tech help and I am hoping this forum may provide, as I can't find any info on the net for my issue.

Recenly purchased a 2010 gl1800 Goldwing side car rig, it is a Hannigan model with the extra wide seat, from what I can
determine, it is called an aero 2*2, but that is just a guess, as it doesn't look exactly like any of the current new Hannigan
models, so I am guessing it may be an older model on a newer bike. The side car has a round "buble" windshield with a
removable hard top and one recessed headlight.

The bike has 12k miles on it, and they entire rig has been a delight for the last month or so since I have owned it.
However, I have recently experienced the following problem, and have no idea how to go about trouble shooting it:

The bike has an aftermarket toggle switch mounted to the clutch side handle bar that controls some kind of hydraulic
system that lifts and lowers the sidecar within a finite range. This has been handy adjusting the ride for when
the wife is in the sidecar, or if I have been driving solo to adjust the "lean" of the bike to keep it level (I appologize in advance
if I am not using the correct technical terminology here).

However, 3 days ago this hydraulic system just stopped working. Toggle no longer activates that hydraulic system as if the
entire thing is dead. I did test the switch itself, and it is fine. What I don't know is if this type of installation would have a
fuse somewhere that could blow, or if the problem is more likely pneumatic, or what to test or where.

Has anyone installed a similar system that could give me some advice as to how to trouble shoot this? Sadly it died with
the side car lifted to it's maximum height which is too high even with a passenger in it, so I may have to try to find some
kind of bleed on the system just to manually lower it a bit to make it rideable before I continue riding (if such a bleed exists).

If there is a subect matter expert out there that can give me some ideas I would be very grateful. I am in Syracuse, NY and there
is no Hannigan dealer/installer within hundreds of miles as far as I know. I can provide my phone number to anyone who thinks
a phone call would be easier to facilitate trouble shooting this.

I appologize for the long post and thanks in advance for any assistance...

Attached files

Hey there, interesting, another "Bear" in New York, and this close, I'm near Cortland. In answer to your question, I think you probably have a linear actuator, and first thought, there prob. is a fuse in the system, that you would have to trace out. Another thought, is check for a connecting plug between car and bike, could be a poor connection.
I am pretty sure Claude at CSM in PA. put one of these rigs together recently, so hope he will chime in and help ya out.
Nice looking rig you have there, maybe we could meet and greet sometime being this close.
NYB.

OH, by the way, should have mentioned Claude is a Hannigan dealer, about three hours from us, in Middleburg, PA. Nice people.

Nice rig Bear. The actuator is an electric jack. Although I have no direct experience with 'em, seems they are generally wired direct to battery with an inline fuse under the seat area. If the fuse and connecting plug are good, check for "juice" to the actuator, then the actuator itself. Hope this helps.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Interesting....I bought my bike from a guy down in lower PA...I wonder if this is one of his installs.

Well, Claude is in Middleburg, PA. Keep in minde there are two Middleburgs in PA. and he is in the one near Selinsgrove on PA. 522. I rode down to meet him a while back, heck of a nice guy. He is listed in the dealer forums under freedom sidecar. Give him a call, he can prob. help you out, esp. if he did the original install. He does post on the boards a lot.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the input. Situation is now resolved - after some adventures with stripped heads on the seat bolts,
I got the seat off and found the fuse for the system - a 20a automotive fuse which was blown. I re-routed the fuse
over by the battery so in the future it can be accessed easier. Fuse replacement solved the problem.

Thanks!

TheBear - 6/30/2013 5:16 PM

Fuse replacement solved the problem.

Actually, it didn't. You still need to determine what caused the fuse to blow in the first place and correct that problem so it doesn't happen again.