Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

American Easy Rider/Spirit of America Tire quesion

Hello. I have a Honda Shadow 750 with American Easy Rider sidecar. Just bought it as I always wanted a sidecar bike. The tire looks kinda like a bicycle tire to me. How safe are these things? Should I upgrade the wheel and tire to something more substantial? I do mostly back road riding with the occasional highway - any thoughts on that wheel and tire would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Dianetti

Take a look here http://floridasidecarproducts.com/vintage_sidecars/american_easy_rider

I agree that sidecar is light with a wimpy wheel and suspension for a kind of heavy at 560lbs. Honda Shadow 750. Do you intend to ride with a passenger? I would worry more about axle diameter, like the problem with the older Velorex with 15mm axle. Couldn't hurt to upgrade.

Very few of the old 15mm Velorex axles had a problem with bending. They were made of tough steel.
Many were attached to early and heavily overloaded. I know of only two that I have replaced in over 25 years and both were caused by hitting curbs. The main problem was the over engineered rear lower rear slider mount that would slip, rotate some and cause misalignment due to the paint to paint attachment that would fail over time. A small spot welt or roll pin took care of that problem.

Lonnie
NWSC, Ret'd.