Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

american easy rider sidecar ???

I was wondering if the American easy rider sidecar was a quality built car. I would think from it's size it's not going to fit anything much bigger than a 650
would it be a good car for a 650 Shadow. I know someone in the market for a car, they ride a 650, a easy rider just came available here local for 750 OBO
Your thoughts would be greatly valued

USCA # 8913

They were the state of the art in the USA at the time which is more a sad commentary of the state of the art in sidecar in the USA when they were built. They are a fine little light duty sidecar for smaller bikes however the entire mounting system leaves a lot to be desired and could really stand some up grades. When we mount these we well cross tubes across the sidecar frame and convert them over to boss and clamp type lower mounts. We also drill through the frame with a 1 inch hole saw which pretty much cuts the frame in half, we then drop a sleeve into the hole and weld it up. The sleeve allows us to install proper eye bolts for the upper mounts rather then the clamps they used around the frame. While a totally different sidecar you can get the idea of what we do at this link http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-and-the-proper-fix/
One other "issue" with these, the fender was molded into the body to far forward so many people to get the look they want end up with more wheel lead then ideal. To get the wheel lead where it should be the back of the sidecar is often quite a bit behind the back of the bike. You get what you pay for $750 would allow you to try out sidecars on the cheap and you should always be able to sell it latter for what you paid for it.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

great...let me go search craigslist and see if I can buy it! 😀

seriously, looking at pics, the frame looks to be about the same level of quality (or lack of) as my inder variation. does the one you are looking at have a car tire or narrow one?

it is the skinny bike style tire.

USCA # 8913

AJ....one thought too....if you want something to work on the Shadow, I will sell you mine that is on my Nomad. it's actually a smaller unit than should be on a Nomad, but I've built it out to be vastly stronger. it would definitely match up to the shadow. I'm trying to sell the entire rig, but I'll separate it and sell you the car and then just sell the Nomad separate.

6 grand and it's yours! hahahahaha!

as I stated, it's not for me. I'm just sort of keeping an eye open for someone that's in the market. I don't know their budget but I do know I wouldn't put them onto anything that wasn't safe and fairly straight forward to install. So I asked about the Eagle which sounds like it would need a lot of mods to make it a safe solid set up. probably not in their best intrest.

USCA # 8913

My first rig was a 1980 Honda cx500 with an American Eagle sidecar.
Yes it was a light duty sidecar but so was the tug. The struts used were the original and no mods were done. A subframe was used for proper geometry.
That being said we had a blast on that rig and never had a mishap with the mounts. I believe a Shadow 600 would make a great tug for it and for $750 you cant go to horribly wrong as long as all attachments are there.

Just my .02