Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Almost new to a sidecar

As the subject reads, I am almost new to a sidecar. In other words, I have purchased a Motorvation Formula II (used) and have the frame in to be media blasted and painted as I polish the body and get ready to put it back together. I have 2 bikes that I could use with this sidecar and am needing some advice as to which to use. I have a 1977 Honda Goldwing 1000 or a 1981 CB750C. Which would you put this car to?

I anticipate that this will be a short term set up. I have a 10 year old daughter that I would like to see if she will ride along. If she does like to ride to tour I would then get a frame fabricated to put a car on my R1150RT.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance

kevin
green bay, wi

The GL would be the better choice. Mountings are about the same and the GL will give you highway power.

Lonnie

Thanks, I was leaning in that direction. I just was not sure if the final drive ratio of the GL was too high. Have a great night!

The GL does have more power, you are right about the gears the very early GL1000 had very tall gearing. Latter ones less. At one time you could buy gear sets for these bikes but they are long gone. Changing to an automotive wheel on the back helps as well. We have mounts for both of your bikes as well as your RT. If it were me I would go with your RT. The mounts we make are 100% bolt on and take very little plastic triming on the RT. The RT makes a great sidecar bike. It is one of the least expensive bikes around to lower the steering effort with the sidecar due to its telelever front end. We also make an automotive rear wheel for the RT. To bad you are not closer to us we have a CB750, a GL1100 and an RT in the shop at this time. If you need help installing the sidecar we have a dealer in Green bay who also is a Goldwing expert.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30