Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Alignment

Hello Just setting up to install and old Hannigan Astro side car onto my 2001 Honda GL1800 Goldwing and I have question regarding toe in. I have bungied an 8' fluorescent tube to the rear tire of the bike and another to the wheel on the sidecar. Where are the reference(rear) and the toe in(front) measurements made?
Thanks from still snowing Edmonton

1 degree to 3degrees. Hannigan has recommended up to 6 degrees for one of their cars I the past which proved to be 3 degrees too much

Lonnie
NWSC
Ret'd.

Thanks Lonnie. Hannigan suggested 1-2 degrees with the rear shock fully preloaded. What I need is where to measure the 1" of toe in for the side car.

Measure straight across, right behind the rear wheel and right ahead of the front tire.

1" of toe in is a good place to start. Since every rig and rider is different, set at 1", test ride on a flat straight road to see it it pulls one way or the other, then adjust accordingly.

Good luck

Thanks CCjon

Measure with the gap between the front wheel of the car with the rear bike wheel snug against the rear wheel. Using a straight edge, the front will have a 1" less measurement.

Lonnie

As the GL is about a foot longer most bikes you are measuring over a longer distance as such to get the same amount of toe in that you would have with a shorter bike you will need to set the toe closer to 1 1/4 inch.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Attached files

BASIC SIDECAR INSTRUCTIONS.doc (388.5 KB) 

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30