Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

A Ural SideCar ?

I see Ural Hacks mounted on many different bikes. Why is that?

Are they a Universal fit?

Are they cheap to buy?

I looked at a Valkyrie with one mounted a few years ago. I passed on it because the bike was in need of more work than I was interested in doing but the Car looked well mounted.

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO

Big Tom,  Ural sidecars are beefy heavy and easy to get into and out.  For a large bike { 750cc + ) and above they work well.  I have seen them on just about any bike.

Many sidecars are out there that people call "Ural's" some are, some are not. The Ural will be made of steel, it will have a trunk that opens from the out side. If the sidecars looks like a Ural but does not have the external trunk it is a Dnper (the D is silent, this is also a Russian sidecar) If the body is mounted on 1/4 ecliptic leaf springs then chances are it is a Chinese CJ sidecar (ok it could be a ww2 era Steib but highly unlikely)

If the sidecar is made of Fiberglass then it could be one of the M72 type sidecars we make.

We also sell a Russian sidecar called a Sputnik. It looks nothing like a Ural but as it is made in Russia people often think it is some kind of Ural, the Sputnik was used on IZH bikes not Ural or Dnepr bikes however it will fit right on these bikes.

All of these steel sidecars are anything but "universal" fit. They were also designed to go onto bikes that were designed specifically for these sidecars. Most do not have an adjustable front lower mount. All have the lower rear mount to far aft for most modern bikes. All sit much higher then most people would like. Many have either a drum brake that is hard to make work with modern bikes or no brake at all. Many do not have DOT approved wheels and tires and many of these wheels are "some what less then round"

We do supply mounting kits for many popular bikes that are proper bike specific NOT "universal" fit as in general "universal" means it fits nothing universally. To run these sidecars we have you cut the frame and weld on pinch clamps that allow us to convert the lower mounts over to "boss and clamp" type lower mounts.  This allows for a much larger range of adjustment on the lower mounts. I have attached drawings.

All of these sidecars are strong enough to go on the heaviest bikes provided they have good wheels. Often they are fairly cheap to buy but unless you fabricate figure on spending another $1200 or so for hardware and this does not include making the brake if equipped work.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30