Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

A trailer with a sidecar.

It has been suggested to me (on another forum), that I ask this. I have a Goldwing with a Cal Friendship sidecar, that I "might" be interested in having a trailer attached to the bike. Now,,, if with the sidecar attached, it would be wider that just the bike and sidecar. Will I, or do I have to make adjustments to the "tracking" of the trailer, so that the whole rig is not so wide as to be concerned about. Does anyone have experience with a sidecar/trailer?

I have a GL1800 with a CSC FS III, and tow a LiesureLite Camping trailer with no problem or issues whatsoever. Of course, I say this as I fabricated a tow hitch for the drawbar located center between the Wing and the car. Real easy, less than $100.00, and simple. I'll post some pics for you. Where do you live and ride?

Attached files

Tourist - 7/5/2017 10:57 PM

I have a GL1800 with a CSC FS III, and tow a LiesureLite Camping trailer with no problem or issues whatsoever. Of course, I say this as I fabricated a tow hitch for the drawbar located center between the Wing and the car. Real easy, less than $100.00, and simple. I'll post some pics for you. Where do you live and ride?

Your trailer is around 54" wide, whereas mine is a cargo trailer that is approx. 34"-36" wide, so hopefully I wouldn't have to off-set the hitch. I ride a '92 Aspie, and ride in SW Ontario.

The trailer will tow best off of the center of the motorcycle however it makes the entire rig much wider. If the trailer is only an inch or two wider then the bike this is how I would tow the trailer. If the trailer is much wider then the bike off set the trailer to the sidecar side just enough so that it is even with the out side of the motorcycle. The further to the center you go the more yaw effect it will add to the sidecar.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Yes, the LiesureLite is, indeed, 54 inches wide (and made in BC). Riding the mountain roads down here in NC, TN, and VA, some of which don't even have a centerline painted, I considered it a "must" to center the hitch, even if I were to tow my smaller Cycle Mate trailer. Of course, I rarely ride a passenger in the car (my DW rides her own Gl1800 Trike) so the FS III becomes my "side mounted cargo trailer". Hoping you enjoy the roads you ride, closest we've gotten to you is above Lake George, NY when we go up to Americade.

Tourist - 7/6/2017 10:52 AM

Yes, the LiesureLite is, indeed, 54 inches wide (and made in BC). Riding the mountain roads down here in NC, TN, and VA, some of which don't even have a centerline painted, I considered it a "must" to center the hitch, even if I were to tow my smaller Cycle Mate trailer. Of course, I rarely ride a passenger in the car (my DW rides her own Gl1800 Trike) so the FS III becomes my "side mounted cargo trailer". Hoping you enjoy the roads you ride, closest we've gotten to you is above Lake George, NY when we go up to Americade.

Just measured the trailer (bike is having repairs), and it's 37", er tip to tip. Considering the bike's width is 37 1/2", "might" it be doable trailering from the reg. hitch? What I'm getting at it that I don't want to get rid of the trailer if I don't have to. On the other hand, the car will do great for hauling stuff around while travelling (no passenger). There is also the added weight of the trailer (130# empty) using more gas. I also don't want stuff jumping around in the car. I guess I could strap the cargo down somehow.

Sounds as if you should do OK towing with the Wings hitch. When it comes to the dynamics and geometry, I have to defer to Jay, as he has the expertise in those, and so many other areas. You've come to the right place for answers, and remember the only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Try to keep all three wheels on the pavement on the right side of the lane.

Tourist - 7/6/2017 1:45 PM

Sounds as if you should do OK towing with the Wings hitch. When it comes to the dynamics and geometry, I have to defer to Jay, as he has the expertise in those, and so many other areas. You've come to the right place for answers, and remember the only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Try to keep all three wheels on the pavement on the right side of the lane.

Thanks for all you help.

Nice thing is, someone else asked the question I needed an answer to as well. I am having a GL2 attached to my Wing and wondered whether I would have to relocate my hitch. Even though I tow a Kwik Kamp, I think I'll leave the hitch where it is and just deal with the couple inches of "overhang" to the left.

ocpd44 - 7/6/2017 7:37 PM

Nice thing is, someone else asked the question I needed an answer to as well. I am having a GL2 attached to my Wing and wondered whether I would have to relocate my hitch. Even though I tow a Kwik Kamp, I think I'll leave the hitch where it is and just deal with the couple inches of "overhang" to the left.

Maybe I'll do the same for the time being.

I'm just adding my thoughts here but you may want to consider this. One thing I found when pulling my camper is when in the mountains you tend to be more likely to be close to the lines on one side or the other just due to road conditions, the last thing I want is my camper hanging out on my left side, even if the rig is in my lane the camper might not be. I want it to track the bike. I know in this case my camper is wider than the kwik kamp but if it is wider than your saddle bags it could cross the line and get tagged.
I'm just saying,,, Murphy is out there

USCA # 8913

True, Ace. I think when I get the whole rig together I'll need to double check the width. And, you're right. Its those mountain roads you need to be careful of.

A sidecar is a 2 track vehicle. If you tow off the bike it becomes a 4 track. I have a Yamaha xs11/hitchhiker.
It is 63" wide. I also have a honda gl1500/hannigan super sport. It is 70" wide. My trailer is a kamperoo.
It is46" wide. If I tow off the Yamaha I have a 12" overhang on the left. With the Honda the overhang is 8".
I built the hitch on the left frame on the hitchhiker. I felt the super sport was a little light for the Honda. I built the
hitch for it out of 1"x2"x72" solid stock. it weighs 57 pounds without the ball and clamps. It is mounted on the
lower struts. This places the left trailer tire behind the rear wheel of the bike.
fly