USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

A trailer to haul the Rig

I'm anxious to see the finished product.  I rarely trailer our rig, but when I do it is with a two-axle 20' dovetail trailer designed to haul farm tractors.  It is obviously over-kill.

I had some your experience with wiring replacing a broken trailer light plug.  The instructions clearly stated which screws in the plug were for marker and tail lights, left and right turn lights, brake lights, etc., but the instructions were wrong.

Checked out the Bear Track site. Why did you decide on the ramp set up and not the tilt trailer?

Are the 13" tires adequate?  Rated for interstate speeds?

Could not find a price for that trailer.  May I ask how much?

Thanks

I saw no need for a tilt. The dealer allowed me to load my rig on the  one I purchased to try it. Even with the slots in the ramp I rode pretty much right up it.

With that curved ramp it was a easy rise. 13 inch tires IMO are fine. Many cars in other countries run 13 inch. My sidecar rig has a 13 inch Car tire rated at 118 MPH.

Tie size is a 175/80R13 not really a small tire.  I knew I did not what one of the trailers with smaller tires under the trailer.. L rated  at  75 MPH sustained speed tire. But you can get 13 inch with high speed ratings. The one on my Rig is 118 Mph. This trailer tire is is rated at 87 mph Taskmaster ST175/80R13 Radial Trailer Tire . I also considered switching to 14 inch down the road if it became an issue. Plenty of clearance to do so.

Tires that came on it are Master track UN203 17/80R13 rated at 75 MPH and 1,356 pound each.

Purchased local $2,700 tax  4inch rise ball .

Aluma-Tow ball mount gave me the inch rise  I wanted . Over kill but it is nice .  Cleaned up the tie downs. had things to do last night so towed the rig to try it. Everything stayed put, felt good behind me.

20191227_161528[1]

Quote from SwampFox on December 27, 2019, 6:04 am
Quote from smitty901 on December 26, 2019, 8:08 pm

Next Back up cam in the van. It is wireless but has wire, this will be fun I bet.

I admire your perseverance.  I haven't yet tried to install one of these adapto wiring kits.  We had such a kit for years for a former Mazda Tribute - simply placed the unused kit in the cargo area for the next owner when we sold the vehicle.  Thankfully we had a Chevy truck to pull the trailer.

Looking fwd to learning about installation of a wired wireless back up cam.

Ok the back up camera in the Van. Yes the camera is wireless but there are wires. Camera mounted easy on the pate bracket. But now the wire must be run to the back up lights. That is what powers it and makes it come on when you go in reverse. The wire that came with it was not long enough to reach on the van. Running it meant taking all the inside panels off and fishing it to the tail light  and connecting the power and Ground to the back up light. That was fun but got the wires all in and panels back on. Now up front the Screen needs 12 volts. They include a plug for the power port.  Not my idea of a clean install, so I cut the wire and wired it to a protected fuse in the dash. Adjusted the angle on the rear tweaked a couple settings and it works fine. Wires all concealed. Made my own mount I was not sticking it in the wind shield.

Hi Smity. I like that trailer. What is the name of the manufacturer?   When it comes to trailers there are 1,000 manufacturers. That's good and bad. More good I think. I drive an SUV. I wasn't sure what you can hook up to SUVs.

Thank you in advance. : )

The trailer is a Bear track. As for what you can and can not pull with a SUV on your owners manual can tell you. So many that you would think can pull a trailer can not. And even in the same models minor difference mean the difference of pulling 2,000 or 3,500  Lbs. This is wear light weight trailers really help. That trailer weight 450Lbs. With the Rig and all they gear I want on the trailer I am still only at 1895 total including the trailer.

Is your Edge the Ecoboost or V6.  Also AWD or FWD?  (can't tell from the pic)  I've been concerned about installing a hitch onto my '13 Ecoboost FWD and overloading the transmission even with a small lightweight trailer/load.

Quote from Thane Lewis on January 8, 2020, 11:52 am

Is your Edge the Ecoboost or V6.  Also AWD or FWD?  (can't tell from the pic)  I've been concerned about installing a hitch onto my '13 Ecoboost FWD and overloading the transmission even with a small lightweight trailer/load.

Read your owner's manual. My 4 cyl. outback says it is rated for 2700 Lbs. It easily hauls my Aluma MC-10 with an '06 Goldwing on it. My only concern was hitch weight so I bought a tongue scale to make sure I was good.

Quote from Thane Lewis on January 8, 2020, 11:52 am

I have the 3.7  AWD well with in my towing ability. With any model now day you have to check all the box to know what you can and can't tow.

I did over size the hitch because I like the way it mounted better. Sitting at about 200 pounds tongue weight right now I can shift that either way with ease.  What testing I have dine it pulls well.