Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

A trailer to haul the Rig

Page 1 of 2Next

With wife retiring soon and the desire to take One of the granddaughters more place The idea of a trailer kept growing. I wanted a trailer that could haul the wide twin Classic , Any of the ATV's one or two bikes at a time or lumber from town. Also wanted it if one was need to rescue some broke down with their bike. Not asking for much am I?

This trailed is 82 inches inside and has low sides. A fold up ramp that has a curve in it. 144 inches long. The Twin Classic fits. When you want a do all nothing generally works right out of the dealership.  For my own peace of mind a bit more clearance moved the right fender out 1 inch. Quick easy job. Experimented with tongue weight and found a lot of room to work with for placement. Spare tire mount and things like jack  and tools will be stored on right to help balance out the weight. 60 inch long tool box fit in front will help take the sand and rock hits and does not interfere with placement of the rig. I can also remove it with 4 bolts. Empty box weights under 30 pounds. I have the parts but have not mounted them yet , O type track tie downs. Still working on placement.  With rig loaded and things I want to have with it weight comes in under the trailers recommend load. I am not a big fan for pickup trucks so it will be pulled with our Ford Edge.  Step by step it is getting there.

20191204_120606[1]

20191219_135236[1]

20191219_135251[1]

1bmwmc and Big Tom have reacted to this post.
1bmwmcBig Tom

Great looking trailer...  and rig.

But how did you move the right fender out an inch?  Photos please. Is that 82" before or after you moved the fender out?

Couldn't see what brand of trailer, Aluma?   Model?   Single or double axle?  Fellow riders want to know...

Thanks for posting

1bmwmc has reacted to this post.
1bmwmc

That is a good solution for what you need. I love my Aluma MC-10 for the single bikes. Pull it behind my 4 Cyl subaru outback with no problems.

What brand is your trailer?

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO
Quote from CCjon on December 21, 2019, 6:30 pm

Great looking trailer...  and rig.

But how did you move the right fender out an inch?  Photos please. Is that 82" before or after you moved the fender out?

Couldn't see what brand of trailer, Aluma?   Model?   Single or double axle?  Fellow riders want to know...

Thanks for posting

Brand is a Bear Tracker. All I did to move the fender out was take it off place 1 inch spacers behind it and bolt it back on. Model BTU821442 . I went with a single axle.  Tires are 175/80R13. Trailer weights 450 lbs .  I don't think many rigs get as wide as the Twin classic on a RGU. As this progress I will post more information . This may not see a lot of use , But I wanted to have it ready. I will have it set up so I can place The bike without a sidecar on it properly also. The thing that makes it work is the low sides. When I looked at the dealer was happy to set it up so I could ride on it see how it fit.  Of course after that helping hand I purchased it from them on the spot. I am using a scale to check tongue weight with bikes at different places. With the RGU rig on it the bikes rear tire is 12 inches from the side that allows the bag guard to clear and the Sidecar tire in about 1/2 fro the  right side. My bikes curb weight is 925lbs the sidecar is 350. To balance the load out if needed the sidecar will have gear stored in it.

Big Tom and CCjon have reacted to this post.
Big TomCCjon

I mounted the the wheel chock for the bikes front tire today, put a couple straps on it and went for a ride. Even with no weight add to the sidecar of balance on the trailer it rode great. Ran it from 30mph to 80 Mph up and down grades . Use some entrance ramps that went down hill and some up hill. No issues. 140 pounds of tongue weight right now.  That  would be a little under 10%. I am using a 4 inch rise on the ball right now . Looks like 5 inch would be prefect.

I need the wiring harness to wire up trailer lights for the Ford Edge. Ordered Curt 56272 Custom Wiring harness. First off I will say in the end it worked. But the path to a fished product was interesting. When I ordered it I checked several times to make sure it was the right Custom Wiring harness for my Edge.
Open the box yesterday start reading the instructions. I notice the pictures don't look like an Edge. That is because they were not , they were for Toyota. Go online and check again ,yes I had the right one. Search on line of instruction .
Find links to video on the install from e trailer but none of them turn out to be Curt.
How hard can this be. I lay out the parts figure I got this . The system requires a 10 gauge wire run direct from the battery . A separate note in the box shows that and it runs under the vehicle . No way that works for me. Take half the inside of the car a part and run the wire under the floor board and console . Take half the back end apart and fish the connectors in . Hook up the power wire and first time all the lights work on the Edge, hook it to trailer they all work . I know they did because by this time it was dark out.
Down side other than wrong instructions.
Cheap butt connectors that will get replace
Cheap wire ties I did not use have my own
Self tapping ground screw that stripped out when I used it. No problem , have a box of good ones from another project.
Custom Wiring harness really means it is an multipurpose adapto fit.
Next time I may just spend the cash and have the dealer install a factory one. To be fair at $52 dollars plus the cost of two band aids and free shipping it does work . I have lights on the trailer , legal for me to use it in Wisconsin. Once I reg it and pay the fees I can use it anywhere.
Next Back up cam in the van. It is wireless but has wire, this will be fun I bet.

Quote from smitty901 on December 26, 2019, 8:08 pm

I need the wiring harness to wire up trailer lights for the Ford Edge. Ordered Curt 56272 Custom Wiring harness. First off I will say in the end it worked. But the path to a fished product was interesting. When I ordered it I checked several times to make sure it was the right Custom Wiring harness for my Edge.
Open the box yesterday start reading the instructions. I notice the pictures don't look like an Edge. That is because they were not , they were for Toyota. Go online and check again ,yes I had the right one. Search on line of instruction .
Find links to video on the install from e trailer but none of them turn out to be Curt.
How hard can this be. I lay out the parts figure I got this . The system requires a 10 gauge wire run direct from the battery . A separate note in the box shows that and it runs under the vehicle . No way that works for me. Take half the inside of the car a part and run the wire under the floor board and console . Take half the back end apart and fish the connectors in . Hook up the power wire and first time all the lights work on the Edge, hook it to trailer they all work . I know they did because by this time it was dark out.
Down side other than wrong instructions.
Cheap butt connectors that will get replace
Cheap wire ties I did not use have my own
Self tapping ground screw that stripped out when I used it. No problem , have a box of good ones from another project.
Custom Wiring harness really means it is an multipurpose adapto fit.
Next time I may just spend the cash and have the dealer install a factory one. To be fair at $52 dollars plus the cost of two band aids and free shipping it does work . I have lights on the trailer , legal for me to use it in Wisconsin. Once I reg it and pay the fees I can use it anywhere.
Next Back up cam in the van. It is wireless but has wire, this will be fun I bet.

I admire your perseverance.  I haven't yet tried to install one of these adapto wiring kits.  We had such a kit for years for a former Mazda Tribute - simply placed the unused kit in the cargo area for the next owner when we sold the vehicle.  Thankfully we had a Chevy truck to pull the trailer.

Looking fwd to learning about installation of a wired wireless back up cam.

1bmwmc and smitty901 have reacted to this post.
1bmwmcsmitty901
Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

After getting over the instructions being wrong it was not so bad. I just refuse to run a power wire under the vehicle . Running it inside added a lot of time. The wireless camera thing was kind of a joke.  21 year old granddaughter backed my other granddaughter Handicap van into someone in a parking lot. No major damage. She said she could not see. So I am putting a back up camera in the van. It said wireless and when I open it of course there were wires. The camera is wireless but the unit needs 12 volt power. It does not look to hard to do.

Who knows I might put one in the sidecar it has a reverse. Might be good for a laugh or two. Today goal is mounting some of the Tracks for tie down on the trailer and making the tie down  straps the right length so I don't have to deal with a lot of left over strap. The tracks will make for a clean tie down.

20191224_095005[1]

1bmwmc and CCjon have reacted to this post.
1bmwmcCCjon

Many thanks for the update with the trailer project. Many of us are in the market for a better trailering experience for sidecars.  Currently I have a very heavy double axle auto hauler trailer that taxes the V6 tow vehicle. Was the only trailer I could find locally wide enough for an extra wide rig.  Have replaced the transmission fluid twice now due to the burnt smell.

Will google the Bear Tracker brand.

Happy New Year 2020

1bmwmc
Quote from CCjon on December 27, 2019, 9:38 am

Many thanks for the update with the trailer project. Many of us are in the market for a better trailering experience for sidecars.  Currently I have a very heavy double axle auto hauler trailer that taxes the V6 tow vehicle. Was the only trailer I could find locally wide enough for an extra wide rig.  Have replaced the transmission fluid twice now due to the burnt smell.

Will google the Bear Tracker brand.

Happy New Year 2020

This is a big reason I did some serious looking around.  A tandem  Axle would have been nice but weight wise it was not needed and the over kill was not worth it. The Bear Track trailer weights 450 pounds With my rig on it and the empty tool box, heavy duty chock still total weight of only 1745lbs. Later I will post some close ups of how the sidecar fire fit right along the right rail . This also helps keep the rig secure on the trailer . This leaves me with 400 lbs of weight I can still have on the trailer if I choose. The Steel Trailers I looked at where just to heavy and not needed for this.

Number one reason this trailer caught my eye was 82 inches inside and the low sides.

1bmwmc

I'm anxious to see the finished product.  I rarely trailer our rig, but when I do it is with a two-axle 20' dovetail trailer designed to haul farm tractors.  It is obviously over-kill.

I had some your experience with wiring replacing a broken trailer light plug.  The instructions clearly stated which screws in the plug were for marker and tail lights, left and right turn lights, brake lights, etc., but the instructions were wrong.

1bmwmc and smitty901 have reacted to this post.
1bmwmcsmitty901

Checked out the Bear Track site. Why did you decide on the ramp set up and not the tilt trailer?

Are the 13" tires adequate?  Rated for interstate speeds?

Could not find a price for that trailer.  May I ask how much?

Thanks

1bmwmc

I saw no need for a tilt. The dealer allowed me to load my rig on the  one I purchased to try it. Even with the slots in the ramp I rode pretty much right up it.

With that curved ramp it was a easy rise. 13 inch tires IMO are fine. Many cars in other countries run 13 inch. My sidecar rig has a 13 inch Car tire rated at 118 MPH.

Tie size is a 175/80R13 not really a small tire.  I knew I did not what one of the trailers with smaller tires under the trailer.. L rated  at  75 MPH sustained speed tire. But you can get 13 inch with high speed ratings. The one on my Rig is 118 Mph. This trailer tire is is rated at 87 mph Taskmaster ST175/80R13 Radial Trailer Tire . I also considered switching to 14 inch down the road if it became an issue. Plenty of clearance to do so.

Tires that came on it are Master track UN203 17/80R13 rated at 75 MPH and 1,356 pound each.

Purchased local $2,700 tax  4inch rise ball .

1bmwmc and CCjon have reacted to this post.
1bmwmcCCjon

Aluma-Tow ball mount gave me the inch rise  I wanted . Over kill but it is nice .  Cleaned up the tie downs. had things to do last night so towed the rig to try it. Everything stayed put, felt good behind me.

20191227_161528[1]

Deleted user, 1bmwmc and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Deleted user1bmwmcCCjonscott kelly
Quote from SwampFox on December 27, 2019, 6:04 am
Quote from smitty901 on December 26, 2019, 8:08 pm

I admire your perseverance.  I haven't yet tried to install one of these adapto wiring kits.  We had such a kit for years for a former Mazda Tribute - simply placed the unused kit in the cargo area for the next owner when we sold the vehicle.  Thankfully we had a Chevy truck to pull the trailer.

Looking fwd to learning about installation of a wired wireless back up cam.

Ok the back up camera in the Van. Yes the camera is wireless but there are wires. Camera mounted easy on the pate bracket. But now the wire must be run to the back up lights. That is what powers it and makes it come on when you go in reverse. The wire that came with it was not long enough to reach on the van. Running it meant taking all the inside panels off and fishing it to the tail light  and connecting the power and Ground to the back up light. That was fun but got the wires all in and panels back on. Now up front the Screen needs 12 volts. They include a plug for the power port.  Not my idea of a clean install, so I cut the wire and wired it to a protected fuse in the dash. Adjusted the angle on the rear tweaked a couple settings and it works fine. Wires all concealed. Made my own mount I was not sticking it in the wind shield.

Deleted user has reacted to this post.
Deleted user

Hi Smity. I like that trailer. What is the name of the manufacturer?   When it comes to trailers there are 1,000 manufacturers. That's good and bad. More good I think. I drive an SUV. I wasn't sure what you can hook up to SUVs.

Thank you in advance. : )

The trailer is a Bear track. As for what you can and can not pull with a SUV on your owners manual can tell you. So many that you would think can pull a trailer can not. And even in the same models minor difference mean the difference of pulling 2,000 or 3,500  Lbs. This is wear light weight trailers really help. That trailer weight 450Lbs. With the Rig and all they gear I want on the trailer I am still only at 1895 total including the trailer.

Is your Edge the Ecoboost or V6.  Also AWD or FWD?  (can't tell from the pic)  I've been concerned about installing a hitch onto my '13 Ecoboost FWD and overloading the transmission even with a small lightweight trailer/load.

Quote from Thane Lewis on January 8, 2020, 11:52 am

Is your Edge the Ecoboost or V6.  Also AWD or FWD?  (can't tell from the pic)  I've been concerned about installing a hitch onto my '13 Ecoboost FWD and overloading the transmission even with a small lightweight trailer/load.

Read your owner's manual. My 4 cyl. outback says it is rated for 2700 Lbs. It easily hauls my Aluma MC-10 with an '06 Goldwing on it. My only concern was hitch weight so I bought a tongue scale to make sure I was good.

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO
Quote from Thane Lewis on January 8, 2020, 11:52 am

I have the 3.7  AWD well with in my towing ability. With any model now day you have to check all the box to know what you can and can't tow.

I did over size the hitch because I like the way it mounted better. Sitting at about 200 pounds tongue weight right now I can shift that either way with ease.  What testing I have dine it pulls well.

Page 1 of 2Next