Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

80's velorex 562 shock question (update)

Hi folks!

I believe my 562 is an 84 model and I am looking to replace the shock (it looks like it might be the original). I just replaced the rear shocks on my bike and know the velorex is way too bouncy...

I did search the forum and the posts that I found were really old.

Does anyone know of a direct replacement for the shock other than velorex, or one that will need minimal modification?

I have heard that some of the 11.5 sportster shocks will fit by grinding the eyes.

Any thoughts, harassment, or wisdom appreciated!

I just installed one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-4-290mm-Rear-Shocks-Absorbers-Spring-for-Dirt-Pit-Bike-ATV-Quad-bike/263190221475?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It's a bit stiffer will see.

saophoto has reacted to this post.
saophoto

Thanks for the link 85!

were any modifications needed to make it fit?

my current shock is quite bouncy and I am sure since it is the original, or appears to be, it is due for a change....

It comes with 10 MM ends so you have to change to the 12mm ones from your old shock. but other than that fits great.

Mine was shot :

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
saophoto

wow! that does look pretty far gone!

do you mean switching out the grommets in the eyes?

pardon my ignorance, not sure what you mean by the ends.....

I am hoping to be fully prepared before I start disassembling....

Thanks again!!!!

Yes, they come setup for 10mm bolts, the OEM ones use 12mm bolts.

saophoto

Super fantastic!!! thanks for the info 85!!!!!

Super excited to have this info and will be ordering a shock now!

Hey, 85Shadow, quick question..... is it hard to push out and replace the grommets in the eyes? Can it be done with basic tools?

Thanks again!

Steve

It's not hard to remove bushings but putting the Velorex in to the new shock will be easier if you file the center of the eye out some.

They taper down in the middle and that makes for a very tight fit. A vice or C-clamp will make things easier.

Got it! Thanks!!! Shock should be arriving today!!

Update?  How did the install go? What are your impressions?

Hi Shadow! Thanks for checking in, the shock arrived but haven't had time to install it yet.

I will keep you and the forum posted.

How are you liking yours?

Hi 85 Shadow!

Install complete! Hardest part was getting the old shock out and mine came out in pieces too!

I notice the ride is much firmer and although nothing shifter, now seem to have, not really wobble, more of a bounce.

I left the adjuster in the same spot where it was when I got it, did you have to change the settings on yours?

What will adjusting the shock due?

pardon my stupidity, I have just never had cause to adjust one....

It seems to make sense that a stiffer shock would give a stiffer ride and not much play to compensate. I wonder if more weight in the car would make a difference....

Now when I stand on the floorboard, the car no longer sinks two inches or more.... hardly moves!

Here are some shots of the adventure....

Uploaded files:

Glad it went in OK, I left mine where it was also. That adjustment changes the preload on the spring so it will carry more weight! Don't need that, if you don't have ballast in your car I would  recommend adding some.

thanks for getting back to me! yes I was thinking it needed more weight now that it has actual suspension! Not much ballast in car other than toolbox and two 10x10 cement squares, i was thinking of throwing in a bag of cement and seeing how it does.

right now in southwest fl it is just too hot to mess around with it until the sun goes away.

Do you keep a lot of weight in yours?

update time... so i added a 60lb bag of cement to the seat and it seemed a little better but not enough to warrent keeping it there.

this morning I took off the wheel just to see what changing the adjustment would do  and could not get it to move to the next notch.

In doing research, on a shock companies website, they state that shocks do need a break in period...

Elsewhere I saw Claude Stanley mention playing with air pressure.

I normally run the stock velorex size tire at 28, I brought it down to 25 and it made a huge difference! Not as bouncy, better control, almost like it was before the shock change but now feels more solid.

85Shadow,

I could not get used to that shock... after doing much more research and talking to Velorex in Czech Republic,

I learned that the original shock measures 285mm eye to eye and the weight rating is about 440lbs.

I found this one on amazon, and it works perfect! The car floats again!!!!!

It was well worth the 25$! The only issue I wad was the metal sleeve in the bottom was too long so I  swapped it out for another one.

Just finished realigning the whole rig (took 4 days in the florida heat, with a multitude of breaks) and can hardly tell the sidecar is there!

Uploaded files:

Saophoto,

How well does the shock keep the sidecar level when making a left hand turn? The shock I have on my Velorex now does not keep the sidecar from leaning down (shock is compressing) when I make a left hand turn as the weight is being pushed onto the sidecar forcing the shock to compress and the sidecar leans downward towards the right as I make the turn.

74 BMW R60/6 with Velorex 562 sidecar, 2000 Ural Bavarian Classic, 2007 Ural Patrol

motoleo

The one I put on mine (800 lbs cap) keep the car up in left turns but it also rides very stiff.

Sorry Motoleo, I didnt see the question til now... yes, I am loving this shock, no nose dives and feels nice and solid . also stays level in turns.  no issues carrying over 150 lbs in the car as well.

85shadow, yes, the one i had before was rated at 1200 i think, way too stiff, nothing made it compress.....

The Velorex folks told me the stock ones new are rated at about 440lbs, the one I put on mine is rated for 400... if i am remembering correctly... again for under 30 bucks, i am more than pleased!

here is the latest version after giving her a make over

Uploaded files: