USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

'65 Electraglide Rear Crash Bars/Buddy Seat

Chuck, you move that bumper a little over and protect sidecar and bike at the same time.
Should give the kids an eccellent hold on to point for sledge riding!

Now I can understand why the one ore other would take it off as it would hit into the saddle boxes.
My rear bumper is much tighter and thought for to have a hold on to point when you have to get out of the mud...
I had one occasion it took 6 hours for 5km 3mi snd came out on a rope behind a police officer's Trooper :O
Sven

Sven,

The photo with the two 65 panheads I was told belonged to two guys that were best friends and always rode together. Those were the last bikes each of them bought as they both got older they purchased new 65 motorcycles with sidecars. The first guy passed away and a few years later the current owner bought it several years later the second guy passed away and the guy bought the second rig sometime in the 70's. the current owner has had them since the 70's and brought them a couple years back offering to sell them for $24,000 each all original paint and accessories that each of the original owners had put on their bikes. Space was tight between the bike and sidecar with the saddle bags and crash bar but I saw no evidence of anything hitting or being touched up.

Now the last two pictures are rigid frame bikes but both have buddy seats and rear crash bars AND if you look the panhead has the sporty "Hollywood" handle bars but has the comfort of a top for his passenger.

The Flathead in the last picture is another original paint bike the rear hoops are more for period customizing looks........now a day I think it's called Bling?

Now the pic. below is my 72 FLH/65 HD sidecar rig in Illinois, heading home to New York from Joyce Canfields National Sidecar Rally in St' Joseph Mo. in 1998

Attached files

I just can't convey how helpful these pics are. I'm excited about the sidecar all over again! I have more confidence in my recent decisions both about the hack and bike. Just so happens I got a new spare tire cover exactly like the one in the flathead pic and the accessories on the '65 are exactly as I have or want. I have a complete set of correct white rubbers ready to install all the way around and white windshield bag. Most are like I already have on my '63. One thing unresolved is the front lower fender trim cap. I can't see if either of the '65's had the chrome lower front fender "cap" with black highlight lines in the depressions. I have original '60, '63, '65 and '66 H-D accessory catalogs and can't find it listed. Meanwhile, Greg Fields's Panhead book shows them on all examples of '65's. I bought a repop and resorted to using 1/4" black pinstrip tape to fill in the depressions. I tried to paint them in using several methods and couldn't get the paint lines to look decent. Working from my Barco-lounger, it turned out great with the tape! I was wavering about a fender trim cap for the sidecar fender itself. I gotta have one now, especially after seeing the tail light is the same as mine. I even have an extra RH-55 (plastic)lens to install on the hack's taillight. I had a glass one and broke it by accident one day. That would have paid for a lot of stuff today. Got better pics of your '72/'65?? Gimme, gimme, gimmee! Now... just for guys... if Blondie sees that complete cover (overhead) canvas like the '48 rig, she'll want one, having the biggest hair in Arizona. There's no place to get one, correct??!! CORRECT!!??? Get it!? Uzzz guys are great! - AZP uhhhh.... looked up "sledge riding". I've never lived in snow country and just lived in snow while in the field in Korea and Japan including a winter Mt. Fuji trek. I have the stamped walking stick to prove it! How does a "sledge ride" involve a sidecar? Sledge riding? huh? You gotta take the car off, right?

Paul ride some hundred miles north with your rig and in any place you find kids with a sledge ask them if they would like to be towed. with spikes in the back wheel I could pull up to 12 kids on their sledges over the ice... smilles from ear to ear from everybody are garantied!

Paul,

Looking at the first pic. of the pans I do not see a lower trim piece on the fender, I would assume that the second rig in the trailer was the same.

Sven is referring to a toboggan sled to pull kids around in the snow. When I was a young lad growing up in Detroit Mi. we would stand around street corners ,when a car would stop at the sign or light we would get behind the car grab the bumper and wait for the car to go skiing on our boots.....I also ran with scissors when I was young.

Oh.... I'm getting it. Here we used to water ski in the irrigation canals, pulled by a car on the adjoining gravel road. Well, that was popular until the Bureau of Land Management and Irrigation district put up chains to prevent traffic. Found a dead illegal border crosser in the water one time but that was 40 years ago. The saga continues with brake cylinders now. The new repop rear master requires DOT 5 but the original wheel cylinder isn't DOT 5 nor does any rebuild kid for the wheel cylinder specify what material is used. I'm talking about the sidecar drum wheel brake. I'm supposing not DOT 5. All the references say to used DOT 3 or 4 but the question is what effect that would have on the new master?

Now everybody got it with the sledge....only once go down a Olympic bob/sledge track...hmmmmm.

The DOT indication number should be related to the viscosity respectively the temperature range. nothing else. I do not know if the numbers go in one or the other direction for temp/viscosity range. What I am sure of, is that it does not have relation to material toleration.
By the way, for 2 years I have now synthetic break fluid in use for the Kawa KLR and got amazed that even when it became old, no water evaporation gave bad surprises on steep long slopes any more. Until now the seals and hoses work fine.
So I hope that I will not have bad surprises with material issues due to synthetic break liquid..opposite to synthetic engine oils where you get easily problems with seals in old engines.
I do not think you would get any trouble using any of the 3 grades in your master and receiver pistons.
Good luck
Sven

Sven

I think I have the answer about the DOTs. The repop master cylinder I received specified DOT5 but could be used for either drum or ABS/disc brakes by taking out some internal pieces. ABS/disc run hotter so DOT 5 came out with a higher wet boiling point. Testing is done under the assumption of 3% water content. Rubber swelling is the eventual result of heat exposure to boiling and aging rather than interaction with fluid. Different fluids affect boiling points. The DOT5 spec covered all possibilities but did not preclude use of DOT 3 or non-synthetic DOT4 (Like Castrol LMA) for drum systems. The maker was just precluding liability by stating the highest heat tolerance. Meanwhile, I saw an example of a mixed DOT 3/DOT 5 outcome. The owner of a newer bike put DOT 3 into a DOT 5 system. It took a while (months) to turn gummy. Then he experienced lockups and delayed brake response. Point is that they should not be mixed but if the system is completely one or the other without mixing even residue, drum brakes should be okay with either. For disc, going to DOT 5 is a good move but only if any pre-DOT 5 is cleaned out first. I'm going ahead with DOT 3 since DOT 4 LMA (non-synthetic) is no longer in production. What you get now is DOT 4 synthetic as replacement. AZP

Still no progress getting those crash bars back on. It seems that there's an extra muffler clamp in the way on both sides. The previous owner put new generation fishtails on and changed the configuration. The gondola is off for installing those side trims (today) and before it is over, I'll have to take off the rear half of the bike to get those bars back on.... bags, rails, and probably mufflers. There's no room to spin the bars around the top nut with all that stuff there. Darn! - AZP