Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally

PreviousPage 8 of 10Next

I just counted and I have right at 100 preregistered bodies and 75 or so sidecar rigs. Rally rule of thumb is to plan on 30% to 40% more showing up and registering at the rally.

I am not sure what all they have lined up for the sidecar games but I do know there will be jousting as one event. Do not ask for details because I have none except that there is no physical contact involved. Everything required for sidecar games will be provided except for the driver and sidecar. We can probably provide a monkey if required.

We're leaving early on 5 July from Minneapolis and will take 35 down to Des Moines and then 80 west. Probably staying someplace between North Platte, NE and Sterling, CO [Ogallala, NE is most likely] on the night of the 5th. Our cell phone is 612-759-4666 if you're on the same route and/or need help give us a jingle.

After leaving 80 on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, we're taking Hwy 76 into Denver and then Hwy 70 out of Denver to Glenwood Springs and Hwy 82 south to Hwy 133 into Hotchkiss. Same deal, if you're goin' that way keep in touch.

For those of you traveling to the rally I wanted to post up some numbers and contact information if you get in to trouble or need some help getting here. Spat and Cookie are my cohosts and they are in Denver if you make it that far and need some information or help. I will be at the house in Hotchkiss Friday the 1st and there for the duration if anyone needs anything on that side of the mountains.

Front Range, East of the divide

Spat and Cookie

720-944-HACK (4225)

spata1a@msn.com

West of the divide

Dana

970-754-RIGS (7447)

coloradorigs@outlook.com

I'll be heading north from New Mexico on US 285. Maybe explore a little of Rio Grande Nat'l Forest on the way if anyone wants to join in. Leaving the 5th from Angel Fire.

CCjon
361-813-7374

No pictures today since I am still slaving away at my other life in Edwards but I can still post up information.

I am still receiving a few straggler registrations in the mail and I just want people to be aware that preregistration has been closed since the 1st and even though I posted a few times that Tshirt sales and preregistration was closed people are still sending in Tshirt requests. There should be a few extra shirts at the rally but I cannot guarantee that you will get one if you did not tell me you wanted one during the appropriate time period.

On another note when Spat was over in Hotchkiss a few weeks ago I took him down to the fairgrounds for some recon and discovered that they had just installed a disc golf course down on the South end of the fairgrounds. If any of you are disc golfers throw your discs in the hack and you can get some exercise on the new course.

10 day weather forecast for Hotchkiss, looking pretty good.
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/81419:4:US

Looks like I'll be able to make Rally - if all goes according to plan [and so far this past 2 months nothing has] I'll get to Hotchkiss late on 7th.

Post-Rally, I'm heading east to MoA in Hamburg NY. Going to do my best to avoid Denver before I have to hit the slabs in Sterling.

How is CO-92 down to US-50? and then 50E towards CO Springs? Does it make sense to do CO-115 to CO Springs, then US24 to CO-71 to I-76? [Clearly I'm avoiding taking I-70 east]

See y'all in a couple of weeks
Thanks,
Duncan

2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

Gee, is 70 THAT BAD? I see a lot of construction but you're adding about an extra 100 miles just to avoid Denver. Google maps sez that it'll take you a little over 8 hours that way. Of course the shorter way does show 14 construction zones between Sterling and Hotchkiss. Dana, what's the scoop? Should we avoid 70?

Hi AL

Yeah - adding miles but on twisty scenic roads - the last I'll see for many miles and a long time. I'm probably adding more miles by going I80 instead of I 70 east towards Hamburg. I just don't like I70

Of course if Dana tells me I'm crazy I'll reconsider.

Looking forward to seeing you in Hotchkiss

Thanks
Duncan

Hi AL

Yeah - adding miles but on twisty scenic roads - the last I'll see for many miles and a long time. I'm probably adding more miles by going I80 instead of I 70 east towards Hamburg. I just don't like I70

Of course if Dana tells me I'm crazy I'll reconsider.

Looking forward to seeing you in Hotchkiss

Thanks
Duncan

Rte 92 is one of Colorado's great roads. US 50 in the canyon is nice too, though generally heavily trafficked in summer.

Thanks Bob

Duncan

Less than a week, see everyone there.

We will be leaving tomorrow to go to the rally, 1st one. Will be taking US 30 to Stering,co, then 6 to Brush. South to LaJunta. Staying over nite then on to Durango. Going to take old train from Durango to Silverton. We will be at the rally on Thursday.

Hanging around waiting...................

Avanell and I are in Gunnison. Will be there Wed. Hoping to see a lot of old friends as well as a lot of new folks.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex. rep

dholaday,

You may want to consider taking Hwy133 to Hwy82 to Glenwood Springs then I70 for only forty miles, seventeen of which is through Glenwood Canyon and about as scenic as an interstate can get. Then take Hwy 131 at Wolcott to Hwy 134 to Hwy 40 up to Hwy 14 through Walden on Hwy 125 to Hwy 127 to Laramie Wy. where you can pick up I80. Glenwood Springs would be the largest city you would have to go through on this route. All the roads from Wolcott on are very scenic and much more fun that anything on the front range. It would be much cooler also.

And it starts, Drone and Kirby made it in this afternoon.

DirtyDR - 7/5/2016 11:05 PM

... and Kirby made it in this afternoon....

Hi Kirby  Sorry I'm not there to scratch your ears in person.

Looking fwd to more pics and stories.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Getting there...

Attached files

PreviousPage 8 of 10Next