Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally

PreviousPage 7 of 10Next

I took a little ride up Grand Mesa yesterday afternoon. The end of this road is about 20 miles from the fairgrounds in Hotchkiss. I was only around 10,000' but when you get up high there is still a lot snow.

And for today's public service message be careful out there. I passed a dozen deer or more riding around and driving back to Edwards in the van so keep an eye out. Also keep a wary eye on the road as there are a lot of rocks falling on the roads this time of year as things are thawed out.

One last note watch for farm equipment on the roads as it is that time of year. This is a very rural area and the roads are narrow, hilly and twisty. If you round a corner or come over a hill there may be large farm equipment coming down the road and the sidecar will lose against the combine every time.

Thanks for the warning. This is not too uncommon a sight in my area except the tractor has triples of the rear, and duals on the front. We generally use duals on the rear and either singles or duals on the front. A set of the tractor tires alone would cost somewhere around $8,000-$10,000 to replace. I've never seen the implement he is pulling. I assume it is for preparing a seed bed or for firming the ground after seeding.

We went for a ride on Saturday in a loop through NW Iowa and saw dead deer and raccoons along the road, so we have some of those wildlife hazards too.

They have a lot of specialized equipment over there for the peach, apple and cherry orchards and grape fields so there is no telling what you will see. There are a lot of vegetable fields also around.

Should be plenty of fresh fruit and veggies about rally time.

Our Saturday night entertainment, https://www.reverbnation.com/dukesheppard , will be playing from 6:00 to 9:00 out on the deck at Revolution Brewing in Paonia, http://www.revolution-brewing.com/ , on Friday night if anyone is looking for something to do with some brews on Friday evening.

The Sheppards sound good. Do they serve root beer at Reverbnation? :^)

I don't know about root beer but I am sure they have something since I don't drink either.

On a side note they are also making the rally shirts.

Took a little ride down to the river.

This is about six miles from the fairgrounds and it is called the Pleasure Park. It is a bar and restaurant on the river for rafters and fisher folks, and of course the errant sidecarist.

So today I took a ride up to Crawford and rode the back road to Paonia. These are a couple of side roads off of the back road.

Caught the moon coming up behind me:

And the sun going down in front of me:

Today's rally tip is for those folks staying at the North Fork Motel in Hotchkiss. The North Fork is really tight on parking so when you hit town stop by the fairgrounds and unload and drop your trailer, if you are trailering, and then go check in. You are welcome to leave your trailer and tow vehicle at the fairgrounds during your stay if you would like. This is a very secure area so you do not have to worry about your trailer and or vehicle. The fairgrounds are literally across the street from the motel also.

DirtyDR - 6/18/2016 6:34 PM

Took a little ride down to the river....

This is about six miles from the fairgrounds and it is called the Pleasure Park. It is a bar and restaurant on the river for rafters and fisher folks, and of course the errant sidecarist.

Dana, you're sure making me want to toss work responsibilities to the wind and make my way to Hotchkiss.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Lee, why should you be any different than the rest of us?

How about a few more pictures coming back to Edwards on Monday?

Paonia Reservoir.

A shot from the McClure Pass looking West over the North Fork valley. The tall peak to the far left is next to Paonia and the road is Highway 133.

This is looking South-East towards Marble and the road is still Highway 133. from the East side of McClure Pass.

Two weeks and you could be here.

Two weeks and I WILL be there! Leaving tomorrow. Taking a long route.

I will be back at the house in Hotchkiss Friday the 2nd and I will be there for the duration so if you head that way early give a yell.

That last photo says it all. God's country beggin' to be ridden...

15 more days...

Here is a schedule for the rally for those who need a little organization in their lives:

U.S.C.A. 2016 Rigs in the Rockies Rally

Daily coffee, ice-water and lemonade will be available, along with morning pastries and fruit, starting at 07:00 in Heritage Hall.
Registration will start at 09:00 on Thursday, 7/7 and will run until 12:00 with an hour lunch break and then resume from 13:00 until they get tired and call it a day. This schedule will resume on Friday, 7/8.
Saturday:
Sidecar games will start at 11:00 in the field South of the camping area.
Show and Shine will start at 13:00 in the parking area West of Heritage Hall.
The U.S.C.A. business meeting will start at 16:00 Outside Heritage Hall on the North side.
Dinner will start at 18:00 in Heritage Hall with the awards and door prizes after dinner.
Evening entertainment will start around 20:00 in Heritage Hall.

There will be no organized rides however there will be plenty of maps and reference materials with some sheets for laid out rides located near the registration area in Heritage Hall.
There will also be signup sheets available for people to find others to enjoy rides with.

Dana this is my first U.S.C.A. event. How many rigs do you expect to attend?

Dana, This is my first National event, I just attended the Midwest Pow Wow. Looking forward to this trip. Side Car games ? What do these consist of ? Any special gear needed snow chains, mallets ? My rig is old but completely rebuilt think we can teach an old side car new tricks ?

Ok joking a side. I am trailering my rig from the Chicago burb's leaving 7-5 early AM if any one is headed that way and wants to caravan that would be cool. Also have a well equipped shop if any one is passing thru this area before then and needs any help. Ken Quast 630-272-8770 feel free to call.

PreviousPage 7 of 10Next