Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally

PreviousPage 6 of 10Next

If you haven't ridden US 12 across Idaho you should include it in your itinerary.

Thanks Don, done it several times but not any time recently.

Dana:
I see that you have 3 BMW's and a fake BMW. Are you a member of the BMWMOA? They are leaning on us again to find out if we qualify as charter club.

If you are an MOA member what is your membership no.?

The old 650 flat head Urals were fake Beemers, I suppose, but the OHV 750s are all Ural. For the record Harley and Indian made flat opposed twins before BMW was even in existence, along with a couple of others.

Yes I am a BMWMOA member and it has already been posted in the appropriate thread.

Thanks Dana!! The fake Beemer crack was based on the reverse engineering of the Ural from the WWII Beemer. Yes - it has evolved from there for the better but that is where it started as with a couple of other Russian brands.

I visited the HD museum in Milwaukee a few years ago and was surprised to see a horizontally opposed engine on one of the bikes.

I spent 25 months of my active duty time in the Army in a Field Artillery Target Acquisition Battalion. HQ battery had a drone aircraft platoon used primarily for photo reconnaissance. They were metal skinned, fixed wing aircraft with a 13' wingspan and were powered by an air-cooled horizontally opposed engine, though I don't remember now if they were 2- or 4-cylinder. Even though they were an expendable item, I would have been in big trouble if I had brought one home with me.

In the horizontally opposed frame of reference... The Pioneer Village Museum in Cameron, WI has a washing machine that is powered by a horizontally opposed twin that was purpose built for the job. There are lots on BMW engines [often with a Rotax gearbox] used in ultralight aircraft.

We will have to continue the Ural thread elsewhere but it did get some action in the thread.

And for the record the flatheads were 750s not 650s, surprised no one called me on that, too laid back over here I guess.

Ok everyone if you have not registered yet and want a T shirt for the rally speak now and I will get it in the order. I don't need money until the rally I just need to know you want one as I will not be ordering a bunch of extras.

I took the K100/EML rig over to Palisade for the annual vintage show.

A nice ride back home to Hotchkiss.

Dana, I saw your rig at the show. I didn't see anyone hanging near it so don't know if I saw you!

For those of you coming in from Grand Junction be very careful coming down Highway 50 from Grand Junction to Delta. This is a divide 4 lane highway that was made for cruising but the speed limit is only 65 and anything over 70 will get you a ticket as the Colorado State Patrol have a very definite presence and they have no mercy. Just a note of caution for your friendly rally tip today.

When I was not wandering the show looking at bikes I was sitting on a bench in the shade by the bakery across from the rig.

I did see you pull in but by the time I got motivated to walk over you disappeared.

I just had a stroke and will be unable to attend, will you send me my packet and by the way the Redwood may have a room I released mine.

I was at the Palisade as well then rode back down to Hotchkiss with Dana. Sunday morning we sat at the fair grounds discussing the rally and setup, I am getting excited, it's only a month away and it's beautify riding in every direction.
I left Hotchkiss late morning north over McClure pass to Glenwood Springs and 70 west. Glenwood near I70 gets a bit congested. On I70 construction spotty thru Glenwood Canyon (this has got to be one of the prettiest stretches on all of I70) and down to single lane in spots around Vail, not too bad of a delay the last 2 weekends I've been thru there. Also the east bound side of vail pass has shoulder work causing no delays but it is a construction zone. I remember near Idaho Springs some construction but caused no delays and why I am not sure of the location. Traffic into Denver Sunday afternoon gets very heavy and will slow to a crawl for 30 miles between Georgetown and Denver. Prime time 2-6pm. There is a toll lane to easy your pain and lighten your wallet. It's a floating rate depending on the traffic volume. This Sunday it was 4 buck and I only saw 2 vehicles in it but I
hear it can get pricey. Traffic was heavy but moving well be it only about 30-40 mph for me. The price is post, they snap your picture then send you a bill.
On the North side of McClure Pass is the historic town of Redstone. It is just the other side of the river but you would never know it if not the turn off sign at both ends, the single road thru town is about 2 miles and your back on 133 from either side. A good size restaurant, a general store and has public restrooms next to the town park. I hit the general store for water and a snack of a killer double chocolate brownie and time to settle my mind for the rest of the trip. I was on 2 wheels and I was having fun over McClure as the traffic was minimal which I thought was pretty unusual and took advantage of it. There is NO gas in Redstone or between Paonia and Carbondale about 60 miles. On I 70 Gas in the mountains is a bit more. Dillon has fair size gas stops on both sides of I70. On the East side of the Divide Georgetown has a good rest stop and gas, I hit Idaho Springs and found the gas more than in the mountains. I would not advise bringing a bigger RV and trailer to either of those 2 stops. A 76 fuel station and truck stop as you hit the west end of the Denver suburbs is probably the best bet for the large rigs. Then a couple more on the east side of town as well.
230'ish miles Hotchkiss to the west side of Denver took me around 5 hours
Travel safe and see ya soon.
John

Holy cow Joe!! Good luck to ya and here's to a speedy recovery!!! And Spat, thanks much for the information!!

Just to reinforce what Spat posted; if you are coming in through Glenwood Springs and Carbondale over McClure Pass then pay heed to the sign leaving Carbondale that states Next fuel 60 miles.

Joe, I'm also sorry to hear of your stroke and that you will not be attending Rigs in the Rockies.

Spat, Dana, and others: keep those riding tips coming. We are down to less than 1 month until we leave for Hotchkiss.

Tom:

If I were coming from Spokane, I'd try either 95 or 195 to Lewiston, then 95 down to New Meadows, then 55 to Boise and I84.

Then to Pocatello via either 84/86 or 84/20/26 [if the latter, a quick stop in Craters of the Moon]. Then 30 out of Pocatello to Kemmerer, 189 - 412 - 414 out of Idaho to 43 in Utah then 44 to Red Canyon and 191 to US 40 in Vernal. That gets you around Salt Lake City; 40 to Dinosaur, then CO64 to Rangely and 139 to Loma, then I70 - US50 to Hotchkiss.

IF [BIG IF] things work out for me and I'm able to make the rally, I plan on following at least part of that route myself.

Hope to see y'all there

Duncan

2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

Sounds good Duncan. Thanks. I get to the Pocatello/Blackfoot ID area somewhat regularly, having relatives in SE Idaho. And I've been to Vernal a couple times. Beers H-D is a good stop in Vernal. Been to Grand Junction as well but have no actual memory of the route we took to get there. Other than coming over a very high pass before dropping down into Grand Junction.

PreviousPage 6 of 10Next