Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally

PreviousPage 5 of 10Next

Be aware that the Phantom Canyon Road is a one or two lane dirt road that was built on an 1800s railroad grade and is a good 300 mile detour from Denver to Hotchkiss. One of my favorites but I do not get down that way too often any more. http://www.colorado.com/articles/colorado-hidden-gem-phantom-canyon-road

We will not be doing an official Winery tour since drinking and hacking are not a wise idea up here in the mountains, if anywhere. Disclaimer aside there are several wineries in and around Hotchkiss and plenty more within an easy ride. There will be a map of the wineries on the map wall at Heritage Hall.

I have done Phantom before - great putt. And looking forward to Cripple Creek for a fine steak.
Heck, I'd leave today and wind my way around all the tornados...then dig out the snow at Monarch.
Guess I better wait. Maybe it will be better in a couple of months

Oh by the way, first time I did Phanton it was in my Sprinter based RV!

Yep, Phantom Canyon Road is nice as is the whole Gold Belt Tour. I much prefer Victor to Cripple Creek especially since they got gambling in Cripple Creek.

So in Victor, any recommendations for motels and fine eats?

Last I knew there was a great restored victorian era hotel in Victor, and it was not expensive. Maybe Dana knows if it's still open. Victor Hotel, I think it's called.

Also, an alternative to Phantom Canyon Road for adventurous people not afraid of narrow, winding roads and heights is Shelf Road, from Canon City up to Cripple Creek.

Yep, Victor Hotel is a nice place and I think you can still stay in the old brothel above the Fortune Club.

Hmmmm, "old brothel". Now there is a different ride! Do they have newer stock?
Sorry couldn't help it.

Thanks for the info.

YIKES. Dana, you didn't say it was haunted! Made resos, should I book a room for a priest too?

Bob Herman, I remember driving the Canon City to Cripple Creek road through small tunnels and crossing bridges made out of logs back in the early '70s driving a Chevelle Malibu loaded with four kids in the back seat and a trunk full of camping gear. The underside of the car rolled over the rocks as if they were oversized ball bearings. Has that road been paved?

Don, not Bob but that sounds like Phantom Canyon Road with the old railroad trestles and tunnels instead of the Shelf Road.

Dana

I took a little ride over to Crawford for lunch yesterday and grabbed a few pictures to whet your appetites.

This is just up the road from my house in Hotchkiss.

Community center in Crawford.

View from Crawford Reservoir.

There is a local hangout in Crawford that will be doing a charity rally the same weekend we will be there and the owner, Jamie, wanted me to make sure everyone at the sidecar rally knew they were welcome to come by also. They will have a good local Blues Band playing on Friday night if anyone is interested in that also.

There is a nice little coffee shop on the West side of town for those who like a premium cup o Joe, http://www.coaltraincoffee.com/
They also have pretty good breakfast burritos, quiches and baked goods. I have spoken with the owner and she would be happy to see us stop by and they have a really nice dog friendly patio to consume your food and beverages on with your 4 legged companion.

A few pictures of McClure Pass from last Friday heading over to Hotchkiss.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm really looking forward to being in Hotchkiss in July.

And overlooking Paonia, Friday afternoon:

Attached files

You going to be around next weekend Bob? I will be in and out this coming weekend, Memorial Day, but I will be in Hotchkiss all weekend the following. Actually I will be in Palisade Saturday for the Western Colorado Vintage motorcycle show. Think I will throw the K100/EML in it.

Dana, I may be heading up to Golden later this week. But I'll be at the Palisade show myself. I don't think I'll be putting a vintage bike in the show, but probably will show up with the Tiger rig.

Sounds good. Since the K100/EML is 31 years old this year I figured I may as well put it in the show. See you at the show.

Preregistration is closing today if anyone cares. I need to get the t shirt order in to Duke pretty quick here so if anybody has not sent me a registration and wants a shirt let me know now. I will order a few extra but I will not guaranty you will get a shirt if you do not let me know before I turn the order in. Rally price also goes up $5.00 at the rally so as long as you send in the registration before the rally the discounted price still holds.

coloradorigs@outlook.com

Anyone have suggestions for a good two day route from the Spokane area to the rally that does not include the ride through SLC? Just wonderin'. I don't have my route figured out yet, open to suggestions.

PreviousPage 5 of 10Next