Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally

PreviousPage 3 of 10Next

Khjphoto - 3/13/2016 8:32 AM

Is there anyone traveling from the MN/WI area that would like to travel together, or make routine contact for the trip to Hotchkiss? My original plan was to ride the interstate (I-80) through Colorado Springs. perhaps taking more than one day to make the trip. But I am open to suggestions.

Jim

Slabing out of Lancaster, PA on the 5th. Direct to Hwy70. Drop on down, meet for coffee, and then more "bugs in the teeth"!

Safe journey
See you down the road

Wow! Yeah! I'll PM my contact information and we'll work something out. I can drop down I-35 to KC. (Extra miles ... OH NO (Grin)). I usually ride down through Sioux City, IA and cut out a couple of miles, but to link up I'd be willing to meet up near KC.

I have had some issues with the bike that seem to be sorted out, but has left a less than confident feeling. It is especially troubling to the beloved bride. She is concerned about my riding this trip alone. If I were riding my ST1100 she wouldn't give it a second thought.

jim

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

Just a note to everyone, the online registration and PayPal link are not up yet and if they are not up by the end of the week I will go ahead and put a printable registration form in the opening post and I will post it on Soviet Steeds and ADV Rider also.

Check the first post occasionally as I am doing updates in it as things change.

Jim: re your trip: There are at least a couple of folks in MN besides Al who most likely will be coming to the Rally: DAVEBIG in Rochester and Steve & Melva Dahl in Mankato. I looked for you on advrider and couldn't find any posts from you about your rig. I'm curious about what you have and what problems you encountered. See you at the rally. Duncan

2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

dholaday - 3/14/2016 2:25 PM

Jim: re your trip: There are at least a couple of folks in MN besides Al who most likely will be coming to the Rally: DAVEBIG in Rochester and Steve & Melva Dahl in Mankato. I looked for you on advrider and couldn't find any posts from you about your rig. I'm curious about what you have and what problems you encountered. See you at the rally. Duncan

Thanks for the heads up on other riders. Half of the interest in riding with, or defining my route is to placate y wife who isn't confident in the rig. If I were on my ST1100 she wouldn't care. The Old Wing is another story.

I have had a dozen different problems, mostly small. Two big ones were/are the starter motor left me stranded one time, there is an oil leak that I think may be a transmission rear seal.

The rig is an '86 Oldwing GL1200 with a California sidecar.
The car/bike link seems to be sorted as it tracks pretty nicely even if it turns heavily. There are no steering mods.

In the far distant past I did visit ADVRider, but haven't been there in ages. My off road experiences have been largely accidental.

Jim

Attached files

Hey Jim, did you receive my last PM? I would doubt that it sent since it shows in my "outbox". And I can't figure out how to send!
Anyway, had an update

The PMs you send stay in your outbox unless you delete them, despite that fact that they were indeed sent. I suggest that you mentally relabel the "Outbox" as "Sent Mail". And in case you're thinking it... no. we can't change that label. it's baked into the code.

I have it. And, I have pm'ed a reply.
Thanks.
Jim

A quick rally tip:

Hotchkiss is only 5,500' in altitude but the average night temperatures are in the 50's F in July and can drop in to the 40's so don't forgot to bring something warm to wear. The higher passes will always be cool so dress accordingly when traveling around.

It can also snow any time of the year so we will have updated weather and road reports at the rally HQ.

Rally registration is open. http://sidecar.com/rally.asp.

Go to home page and click on link to the rally in red. works there.

Online registration is open.

There is a link on the first post in this thread also here http://www.sidecar.com/rally.asp

I've printed the registration form, filled it in and will pay by check. Only thing is, I see the option to mail the form in but I'm not seeing the mailing address to send it to.... Also do I make the check out to USCA or just who?

Bottom right of the registration form says
"Make your checks out
to: "Rockies Rally"
and send to:
Dana Williams
P.O. Box 1285
Avon, CO 81620"

That wasn't on the one I printed from the web site for some reason. But... I just received the latest issue of the Sidecarist and I see it's on the form there. I just came back on the forum to say so and to disregard my previous post. It's all good. See ya in July!

Interesting, I hit both links that said print registration form and they had the information. At least it is on the thread now.

July will be here before you know it.

You'll see what printed in a couple days. I just put a stamp on the envelope to go out on my next trip into the post office...

Signed up online using PayPal. Easy-Peasy. Looking forward to a great rally in the mountains of Colorado.

Jim: That's a nice looking rig. Glad you got it sorted out.

You should give advrider another look. While oriented towards adv bikes, it is by no means an off-road site. [My guess is that 95% of adv bike riders spend 95% of their time on the pavement or well-groomed gravel/dirt.]

And the "Hacks" subforum is full of lots of information from lots of people with lots of opinions.

See you in July,

Duncan

2011 R1200GS + EML CT2001

The check is in the mail. So, baring a day before mechanical failure, like last year, I'll see y'all there. I'll be packing a tent.

I had difficulty getting my 'confuser' to access the links. Don't panic. I have lots of problems with my 'confuser'. Many of them are not hardware or software related. I think the term is 'operator error'.
I waited for the SIDECARIST to arrive to post my entry.

I enjoyed this issue with its feature article Riding with Friends, at Furrry Foray. Thanks.
Jim

Registered online, very easy. See y'all in July.

PreviousPage 3 of 10Next