Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

2008 Rally Update

Thinking ahead to the rally in Duluth you can expect some differences from our other June rallies. The average high temperature in Duluth on June 12th is a very comfortable 70° F while the low is a crisp 48° F on average. That’s not to say that the weather can’t go a little wild. The record High was 92° F in 1996 and the record low was 31° F in 1968. So with that kind of a spread what do you wear? Most folks will want a sweater or light jacket for the mornings and evenings and a warm sleeping bag is a good idea for campers. If you go riding along the lake shore you'll need that riding gear! Not only to be safe but the breeze coming off Lake Superior can be down right chilly. Our campsite is high and away from the shore so it will be generally warmer.

You get a lot of rally time for your money when you meet in Duluth. Sunrise will be at about 5:14 AM CDT and it will be light enough to see clearly an hour before. Sunset doesn’t come until 9:03 PM CDT and twilight will keep the flashlights off until after 10 PM. So if you add up all the extra daylight you get over the three and a half days, it’s almost like having an extra day of rally ;^)!

If you want to get a jump on planning the sights to be seen, go to

http://www.visitduluth.com/general/guide.php

to see a .pdf version of the guide book that’s put out by the Visitor’s Bureau. Lots of good info there!

More info to come as plans come together; we’re planning to make this a fun event with lots of participation. We’re looking for a volunteer to work on the children’s program. We’ve got some ideas that will take the children’s activities a lot further than they’ve gone in the past but we need a person to take the reins.

That’s it for now. We’ll talk about a couple of the planned rides in the next installment.

Hi Al,

We went thru Duluth(naturally) on our way up to Thunder Bay ONT on Friday of Labor Day weekend. I say the sign for the campground off to the right of Highway 35 as we approached the Spirit Mountain exit. Am I correct in assuming that the campground is to the right of Hgwy 35? Looks like a nice easy run down into Duluth proper from there although our Ural GearUP might grunt a bit on the way back up the hill...

Temps were in the low to middle 70's both going up and coming back thru Duluth.

We saw a Ural outfit between 2 harbors and Split Rock Lighthouse Northbound.

Bob in Coon Rapids MN

Bob,

Yep, the campground is on the South side [yeah, it looks like the East side to me too but if you're in or around Duluth and you think you're going East, you're probably going South] just a bit before you go "over the edge" down into Duluth. If you saw that crazy huge fiberglass buffalo, you were there.

I've figured out a back way from Duluth up to the campground that uses surface streets so you don't have the put the Ural on the highway. I hope to have the route published in the rally book along with some other suggested rides.

Originally written by redflasher on 9/13/2007 1:07 PM

Hi Al,Temps were in the low to middle 70's both going up and coming back thru Duluth.We saw a Ural outfit between 2 harbors and Split Rock Lighthouse Northbound.Bob in Coon Rapids MN

Bob,Roughly how far is Split Rock Lighthouse from the campground?

Chuck,

I know you asked Bo but I've got the info from the routes I've already been working on. Split Rock Lighthouse is 57.4 miles from the campground but don't overlook Gooseberry Falls while you're on the way; it's 5.1 miles closer and you drive right past on the way to the lighthouse! Early in the season there should be a good flow over the falls and you can wade right out into the water for pictures. There's a lot to see and do in the area.

'See you in Duluth!

Yeah boy, there is a lot to see and do in Duluth. Just to the east of the campground is Skyline drive up on the hill overlooking the harbor. Several miles of twisty ascent and several nice overlooks.

Leaving Duluth on the East end, there is a scenic drive right along Lake Superior heading to 2 Harbors. Approx 22 mile run. Then another 20 or so miles to Split Rock Lighthouse. Many places to stop and eat along the way.

And of course, Aerostich warehouse/store in West Duluth.

Chuck,

I was thinking [a real stretch for me sometimes] and there are actually at least four lighthouses that are closer to the campground than Split Rock. There are three in Duluth itself and one or two in Two Harbors, about 40 miles from the camp ground. So if you decide to take in Split Rock, you can bag two more on the way.

Thanks Al,

I knew that there were some in the Duluth area I was trying to get a rough idea as to the distances that they were from the campground.