Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

2007 Road King

I have a 2007 Road King with Vance and Hines true duals, high flow air intake and Vance and Hines power commander. A few years back a friend of mine gave us a 1999 Harley side car. Let me give you a little back round on why. My son has a disability and loves motorcycles. When I told my friends I was looking for a sidecar for my son, they stepped up to the plate. It is almost brand new. My question is, what do I need to do to get it installed on my 2007 Road king? Can I do it myself or do I need to have someone do it for me? My son would really love it. I have it in my garage right now and Brandon calls it his batman motorcycle. Brandon is 29 with the mind of a 5 year old. If I have to have it mounted, I live in Lake Havasu Arizona. Would anyone know, if I cant do it myself, who could mount it for me. Thank you so much. If I happened to get it mounted I hope to post some pictures

Do you have the bike side mounts? The mounts in this picture are for an older bike but if you have similar parts they should work on your bike. You can mount it yourself if you have a little wrenching ability. I have some H-D sidecar service manuals that can tell you what parts you need with your combination of model years. Post a picture of what parts you have and you will get some advice here. Edit- I forgot I had this, attached is the sidecar mounting instructions for your model year bike. It looks pretty complicated but you can do it.

Attached files

-j04021.pdf (2.7 MB) 

Looks like I have the exact same side car. I have to order the mounts for my 2007 Roadking since the type of mounts changed I think in 2006. I do know how to wrench a bit. Work on my own diesel power stroke. Do you think I need any extra power on the bike? Someone was trying to sell me an upgrade on the motor. Was the electrical and brake cable easy? Is there a way to do a quick disconnect on the brake line? Also was worried about the alignment of the tire. Guess it will all be explained in the service manual I ordered.

Thank you so much for your response.

davet - 4/23/2017 6:29 AM

Do you have the bike side mounts? The mounts in this picture are for an older bike but if you have similar parts they should work on your bike. You can mount it yourself if you have a little wrenching ability. I have some H-D sidecar service manuals that can tell you what parts you need with your combination of model years. Post a picture of what parts you have and you will get some advice here. Edit- I forgot I had this, attached is the sidecar mounting instructions for your model year bike. It looks pretty complicated but you can do it.

I have a 1993 Tour Glide with an Evo engine so my setup isn't exactly like what you will have. Mine could use more power, but I think yours should be pretty good already with what you've upgraded. The electrical is easy since there are only a few wires, there may be a sidecar harness available that would make it really easy, plug-in installation if you have the right connector on the sidecar. There should be a part number for that harness in the service manual you're getting. I don't have a quick disconnect on my brakes since mine is my sidecar only bike but there is something available that people have used. If you search around this forum you should be able to find a description of that fitting. Alignment is a little bit of a chore depending on the model year of the sidecar. Later Harley sidecars have threaded adjusters that allow you to change the toe-in easily but older models don't have them and you need to disconnect the sidecar completely to change the toe-in. I'm not sure what year that changed.

ktfjammer - 4/23/2017 11:12 PM

... Do you think I need any extra power on the bike?....

I don't have any insight for your particular combination, but I've learned from both the farm and sidecars that gearing plays a big role when towing. For example, we "geared down" our former Sportster rig by a mere 4% - not only were both 1st & 5th gears more usable, but gas mileage also increased by 3 mpg.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Thank you so much Dave. It looks like my side car has an electrical harness already attached. Will have to wait till the service manual get here. I feel a lot better talking to all of you in doing it myself. It does have the threaded adjustments. My son will really love his "batmobile". I was getting some quotes of thousand dollars and up to install. The parts are going to cost around 800.00. No I can spend the extra cash in getting it painted. Thanks again

davet - 4/23/2017 4:41 PM

I have a 1993 Tour Glide with an Evo engine so my setup isn't exactly like what you will have. Mine could use more power, but I think yours should be pretty good already with what you've upgraded. The electrical is easy since there are only a few wires, there may be a sidecar harness available that would make it really easy, plug-in installation if you have the right connector on the sidecar. There should be a part number for that harness in the service manual you're getting. I don't have a quick disconnect on my brakes since mine is my sidecar only bike but there is something available that people have used. If you search around this forum you should be able to find a description of that fitting. Alignment is a little bit of a chore depending on the model year of the sidecar. Later Harley sidecars have threaded adjusters that allow you to change the toe-in easily but older models don't have them and you need to disconnect the sidecar completely to change the toe-in. I'm not sure what year that changed.

i have a 07 ultra with a sidecar on it.

the gearing is a pain

installing a raked tree is well worth the trouble if you are going to ride it any amount

the mounts you show are for a older bike - and the most expensive parts of the mount kit are not shown in your picture.

all these tiny parts come in the mount kit box - and are essential to a safe operating unit:

saddle bag latch
oil sender adapter
rear brake line adapter
brake pedal
rear brake cylinder adapter
remote rear brake cylinder reservoir
remote rear brake cylinder hose
tssm sidecar rollover switch

the only part of all of that that a dealer needs to do is activate the rollover switch.

a site member sells a vastly better clamp for where the rear mount attaches to the sidecar frame.

to

if wishes were horses id go to trike gearing as well as trike steering - i used a liberty tree - but whenever in the future i need to change the belt ill install 30 -68 or 30- 70 gearing and do my best to use a stock belt. 07 and 08 bikes have the worst gearing for hauling a sidecar, I've essentially NEVER used 6th gear at all.. the gearing is so poor in 6th that the bike will actually decelerate unless I'm behind a truck.

to

This is the brake line quick disconnect I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sidecar-Brass-Brake-Line-Quick-Disconnect-Harley-Champion-California-Motorcycle-/322462192652?hash=item4b143e940c:g:0wwAAOSwMHdXSL0L&vxp=mtr

several things have to be changed but nothing that a good mechanic couldn't do. the Harley sidecar manual list most, like break pedal and such.

removing and installing a sidecar on a harley newer than 84 consigns its handing with the sidecar to something like "gorilla". if you get neutral steering on a two lane road - on the left side of a freeway its going to want to head to the ditch, so you will have to adjust so neutral steering only occurs on very flat roads to be safe - and that will be a bear do drive.

so my "opinion" [my first harley sidecar was aquired in 1986 so I've been doing this a long time] is that its a sidecar bike or not - its not really even safe on the freeway at speed for the average weekend rider to go back and forth with the same bike.

a older harley would come with a adjustable tree so that the rider could make a fast one bolt switch between proper handling solo and proper handling with a sidecar. since about 84 its not.

lots of folks run a harley sidecar with solo trees - its there bike and they can do what ever they want as long as they don't lose it and run into me.

as for me ill never ever ride a sidecar bike again without a sidecar appropriate front end.

to

Hi timo482, Thank you for your honesty. My disabled son loves motorcycle so much I wanted something for him so he could feel like he is part of the ride. He is not able to drive let alone ride a motorcycle. He is 29 with the mind of a 5 year old (mentally). Just can't find anyone in my area to help. I am pretty mechanically inclined and if you give me a manual I can usually figure it out. So I am guessing from what you are saying, is that it would be a bad idea for me to run a side car on my bike? The side car was given to my son in hopes of taking him for a ride. I dont have the money to buy another bike with a side car or a trike. So might have to figure out somehow so he could be able to enjoy his life. When he is doing great, I can take him around the block on the back of my bike. The smile he has is priceless. Thank you so much again timo.

timo482 - 4/24/2017 6:03 PM

removing and installing a sidecar on a harley newer than 84 consigns its handing with the sidecar to something like "gorilla". if you get neutral steering on a two lane road - on the left side of a freeway its going to want to head to the ditch, so you will have to adjust so neutral steering only occurs on very flat roads to be safe - and that will be a bear do drive.

so my "opinion" [my first harley sidecar was aquired in 1986 so I've been doing this a long time] is that its a sidecar bike or not - its not really even safe on the freeway at speed for the average weekend rider to go back and forth with the same bike.

a older harley would come with a adjustable tree so that the rider could make a fast one bolt switch between proper handling solo and proper handling with a sidecar. since about 84 its not.

lots of folks run a harley sidecar with solo trees - its there bike and they can do what ever they want as long as they don't lose it and run into me.

as for me ill never ever ride a sidecar bike again without a sidecar appropriate front end.

to

My two cents about steering modifications. I have been riding my 93 Tour Glide sidecar rig without changing the front end for about 5 years. It can be done. That being said, I have ordered a trail reducer from EML, the manufacturers here call them leading legs. This will reposition my front axle, wheel, fender and brake calipers to reduce trail and steering effort. My opinion is you should try it for a little while and if its too difficult for you to ride, do some front end modification. You do need to take it slow and learn how to ride your rig under the safest conditions possible, a lot of parking lot practice and take it really easy on the road.

Thank you so much Dave. All the mounts is going to be about 800.00 +. I started out ordering the service manual. I will go from there. I am extremely anal about riding, keep myself on the upside of the dirt. I will research what a trail reducer is.

Thanks again

davet - 4/25/2017 5:01 AM

My two cents about steering modifications. I have been riding my 93 Tour Glide sidecar rig without changing the front end for about 5 years. It can be done. That being said, I have ordered a trail reducer from EML, the manufacturers here call them leading legs. This will reposition my front axle, wheel, fender and brake calipers to reduce trail and steering effort. My opinion is you should try it for a little while and if its too difficult for you to ride, do some front end modification. You do need to take it slow and learn how to ride your rig under the safest conditions possible, a lot of parking lot practice and take it really easy on the road.

The usual method for trail reduction on Harleys is raked triple trees. My bike is an odd one apparently, nobody makes raked trees to fit it. That's why I am going to the EML trail reducer (they also call it a fork rake kit). Here's a picture of one. EurowingUSA is the importer for EML which is in the Netherlands. This costs about the same as raked trees, maybe more than some, around $900. It will be easier to install than the raked trees, especially for my bike.

Attached files

in the past the brake parts are what cost the most, the parts are actually from one of the fxr line.

the small parts are essential - the stock brake pedal will not clear the sidecar frame

and the stock fluid resvour interferes with the sidecar frame

it came all in a box & will be listed in the manual once you receive it.

to

This may help =
http://www.ultraboy.us/Harley%20Raked%20Triple%20Trees.pdf
I just did my '02 FLHTCUI using this guide.
Saved some cash and steers easy.
Works great. 😉

Thank you everyone for all your help. I actually went to the Laughlin Motorcycle Run. Talked to a few people there. They are all saying things regarding the trailing of the bike. Looks like I am going to change the rake, longer forks, and make the suspension better. Thanks again

Just saw this thread after being away for awhile.
So my .02 cents are this - been riding a bone stock 2000 Road King for 17 years with a bone stock Harley sidecar.
Unless you plan on really putting on miles - and I'm guessing with your situation that won't be the case - then I'd sure try out your bike with the sidecar mounted, with your son in it and then decide if you want to spend the $$$ for front end modifications.
I'll agree that it works out best to have it as a dedicated rig for no other reason than your tires, once worn in, will be a bit hinky if you go back to riding it solo.
However it works out be sure to have fun and I'm happy to hear your son gets so much joy out of this!

I installed a 2000 car on my 2008 Roadking 3 years ago; With the experience you mentioned you can do this no problem. i agree that you should try the bike as is with the sidecar before expensive front end work. if you get the rig dialed in it will handle pretty well. i switch my car on and off so don't want to mess with the front end. As dean mentioned, i think you'd need to put on serious (touring) miles to go to the expense of the new front end. Anyway, you will have a blast with your rig! People love going for rides in it as will your son!
Good Luck