Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

1982 Velorex 562 on a 79 Goldwing GL1000

Hello guys, I'm completely brand new member and also new to the sidecar world.
I have recently bought a 79 Goldwing GL1000 and a 82 Velorex 562 sidecar, it is part of my understanding that this sidecar was made for smaller bikes.
After some research I see I can buy a suspension kit to replace those tiny 15mm swingarm which I am in the process of getting it, if you have any input that you can share to make it safe it will be highly appreciated. 🙂

Attached files

As you know, I have a bolt on upgrade for the early 15mm axled 562's (and 700's) that supports larger bikes and heavier loading.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars
nwsidecar@aol.com
208-629-8409

a smaller bike or a larger sidecar would be the way to go.with a light car , be sure to have some ballest

Originally this sidecar design for Java. 350 cc 2 stroke parallel twin. Dry weight 160 kilogram =350 lb.

I welded a 3/8" steel plate to my sidecar frame to both reinforce the frame as well as provide ballast. I ride a '75 GL1000 with a Sidekick sidecar which is physically large but lightweight - too light for use with a Goldwing. The steel plate added about 80-90 lbs but the bike has more than sufficient power to handle it. It made all the difference in the world.

Thanks for the input, any suggestions as of where exactly I need to weld the steel plate to the SC frame?
Thanks
JM

I've attached a 1"x7"x28" steel plate to the outer (wheel) side of early Velorex frames in the past. That's about 55#.
Usually for use with a heavy bike; GL1000's and such. I welded on tabs and attached it with U-bolts.

Lonnie

rastakali - 1/15/2016 3:44 AM

Thanks for the input, any suggestions as of where exactly I need to weld the steel plate to the SC frame?
Thanks
JM

The steel plate covers the entire bottom of the sidecar chassis. I made clearance cutouts for the wheel and other items as necessary. Welding the plate on instead of bolting it on greatly added to the chassis reinforcement.