Notifications
Clear all

180/55B18 to a car tire

15 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

This will be of use mostly to Harley owners.

Many Harley Touring bikes are coming with 18 inch  wheels  . Tire size in the rear is 180/55B18.  There is no car that will fit. Anything that would fit the wheel would not work on the bike. I ran into this with my 2020 Road Glide limited.

I found the answer. Replaced rear wheel with a 16 inch. Found a TPMS that would work with the wheel and Registered it with the bike using a Centurion. Installed proper ABS and RDRS bearings in the 16 inch wheel.

Mounted 195/65R16 car tire. This resulted in a replacement that is the same height as the factory Tire and wheel. Width is 1/2 inch wider and has no clearance issues.

On a large rig like this the car tire works much better in the rear . finding the answer was a fun journey.

Posted : August 5, 2021 2:49 pm
(@2FLTC)

Well you have one thing going and that is being able to get a tire. The stock tire have being on back order for months now with no available date when Dunlop will ship them. There is a guy in the west that cannot find a tire in the surrounding states. He has to finish his trip in a U Haul. He is not the only one. I tell ever body make sure you have good tires before leaving on a trip. By the way that tire looks good under there.

Posted : August 6, 2021 2:15 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Quote from 2FLTC on August 6, 2021, 7:15 am

Well you have one thing going and that is being able to get a tire. The stock tire have being on back order for months now with no available date when Dunlop will ship them. There is a guy in the west that cannot find a tire in the surrounding states. He has to finish his trip in a U Haul. He is not the only one. I tell ever body make sure you have good tires before leaving on a trip. By the way that tire looks good under there.

Yes I picked up a spare front and rear  for the bike and car tire for the sidecar also

Posted : August 6, 2021 4:40 am
(@adam-andrews)

Quote from smitty901 on August 5, 2021, 7:49 pm

This will be of use mostly to Harley owners.

Many Harley Touring bikes are coming with 18 inch  wheels  . Tire size in the rear is 180/55B18.  There is no car that will fit. Anything that would fit the wheel would not work on the bike. I ran into this with my 2020 Road Glide limited.

I found the answer. Replaced rear wheel with a 16 inch. Found a TPMS that would work with the wheel and Registered it with the bike using a Centurion. Installed proper ABS and RDRS bearings in the 16 inch wheel.

Mounted 195/65R16 car tire. This resulted in a replacement that is the same height as the factory Tire and wheel. Width is 1/2 inch wider and has no clearance issues.

On a large rig like this the car tire works much better in the rear . finding the answer was a fun journey.

I'm looking to go this route on my 2020 RG.  I'm due a new tire.  Had a few questions I was hoping you could help with:

• So any 16" touring bike wheel will work? 
  • Can you share with me the TPMS that you used?  I figured I could just reuse the one from my stock wheel.  
  • Not too keen on buying a $1700 Centurion... Did you find a shop that had one?
  • Do you have the part numbers for the necessary bearings?

Many thanks for your input!  And for your help last year with photos so I could hook up my sidecar!

Best, Adam.

Posted : April 21, 2022 5:48 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Good to hear from you. Was having an issue with password back in now.

Any post 2009 rear touring bike wheel should work. If you do want to use the senor from your wheel you will need to purchase. Hd would likely be easiest .

Now here is where it get interesting.. Non TPMS wheel have a 11mm hole of valve stem . TPMS wheel have an 8mm hole. You or a good indy will need to make a good rubber bush to seal the stem. Lot of riders are doing this.

When you get your new senor or reuse yours write down the number on it. You must have that for dealer or indy to register to the BCM.

Bearing are easy who ever is going to install them for you will give you the size. The axle size must match and you good to go.

I have my own Centurion.

I had my sidecar off of a bit. Payton could not ride in sidecar due to surgery. I put a woods cam in and 2-1-2 headers wanted to play with it a bit on two wheels.

Just put the sidecar back on Wednesday. I also put the car tire back on at the same time.  Leaving on a 20 day ride to FL and TN soon getting things ready.

Just to make sure. I do not recommend riding the bike with a car tire if sidecar is not on it. 

Any help I can be just yell

Posted : April 22, 2022 3:21 pm
(@2FLTC)

The bearings should be all the same from 09 and up.  If you in the need for a 16" wheel I have take offs. 

Posted : April 23, 2022 4:58 am
(@adam-andrews)

Quote from smitty901 on April 22, 2022, 8:21 pm

Good to hear from you. Was having an issue with password back in now.

Any post 2009 rear touring bike wheel should work. If you do want to use the senor from your wheel you will need to purchase. Hd would likely be easiest .

Now here is where it get interesting.. Non TPMS wheel have a 11mm hole of valve stem . TPMS wheel have an 8mm hole. You or a good indy will need to make a good rubber bush to seal the stem. Lot of riders are doing this.

When you get your new senor or reuse yours write down the number on it. You must have that for dealer or indy to register to the BCM.

Bearing are easy who ever is going to install them for you will give you the size. The axle size must match and you good to go.

I have my own Centurion.

I had my sidecar off of a bit. Payton could not ride in sidecar due to surgery. I put a woods cam in and 2-1-2 headers wanted to play with it a bit on two wheels.

Just put the sidecar back on Wednesday. I also put the car tire back on at the same time.  Leaving on a 20 day ride to FL and TN soon getting things ready.

Just to make sure. I do not recommend riding the bike with a car tire if sidecar is not on it. 

Any help I can be just yell

Thanks so much for the info.  I reached out to 2FLTC and will see if we can make a deal on a wheel. I’ll look into the rubber bushing for the valve stem, I think transferring mine would overall be the easiest path forward. 

I bought myself a Road King so I can ride on two wheels if I want. The Road Glide will be a dedicated sidecar rig. Still have an adjustment or two to make on it (sidecar tire is wearing unevenly) but I’ve almost got it dialed in. Meanwhile the dog loves cruising in it!

Posted : April 26, 2022 7:40 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Make any adjustment slowly. Also always make sure the ECC is full down when making any adjustments. Not sure what tire yours has but right now the 12 inch car tires are getting hard to find.

I normally run the Nankang CX 668 155/80R12. But none to be had.  Ordered an Americus  Touring plus  same size same ratings.

Most ofthen tire wear is Toe, lean angle and or running ECC to often . IMO

Posted : April 26, 2022 12:05 pm
(@adam-andrews)

Quote from smitty901 on April 26, 2022, 5:05 pm

Make any adjustment slowly. Also always make sure the ECC is full down when making any adjustments. Not sure what tire yours has but right now the 12 inch car tires are getting hard to find.

I normally run the Nankang CX 668 155/80R12. But none to be had.  Ordered an Americus  Touring plus  same size same ratings.

Most ofthen tire wear is Toe, lean angle and or running ECC to often . IMO

I’ve definitely gone through a few tires trying to get this thing right. I buy a pair off eBay for about $110. 

you made a comment about the ECC that I’m curious about… running it too often. I was never sure how to use it so I just leave it about a third of the way up pretty much all the time (I always do my measurements with it down). Should I normally leave it down and only use as necessary? That may explain my strange tire wear. 

Posted : April 26, 2022 1:59 pm
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Leave it down used when needed. The more you get use to your rig the less you will use it. Road condition dictate use not alignment issues

I will try to explain more tomorrow . If you are on reasonably flat road and feel the need to use it it is not aligned correctly. Most likely lean angle is off.

If it pulling then toe is off. Fix one at a time when adjusting it. Ours are not that much different . I can supply pictures for you.

Posted : April 26, 2022 3:26 pm
(@adam-andrews)

Quote from smitty901 on April 26, 2022, 8:26 pm

Leave it down used when needed. The more you get use to your rig the less you will use it. Road condition dictate use not alignment issues

I will try to explain more tomorrow . If you are on reasonably flat road and feel the need to use it it is not aligned correctly. Most likely lean angle is off.

If it pulling then toe is off. Fix one at a time when adjusting it. Ours are not that much different . I can supply pictures for you.

I’m going to put a couple hundred miles on it tomorrow, I’ll leave the ECC all the way down and see how it does. 

Honestly it feels pretty straight, but the sidecar tire seems to be wearing almost like it’s toed in too far (the outer half of the tire is wearing faster). I’ll see how the ECC being down does, but if it’s still an issue I’ll probably nudge the front out a bit. 

You’ve given me some great pictures of your bike last year that I followed closely when bolting up my bike side brackets… they were very useful!

Posted : April 26, 2022 3:39 pm
(@2FLTC)

Three of the sidecars have ECC  I set them up with it 3rd of the way up, no problems with tire wear on none of the rigs. As the others don't have ECC.  IMO I really don't see a real need for ECC, but that's just me.    

Posted : April 27, 2022 2:34 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

The car tire will affect the TOE a bit. So I would leave toe alone until you try it with the tire change. the Car tire is .5 to .6 tenths of an inch wider that the factory 180 tire.

As for ECC setting with aligning the car Hannigan makes that pretty clear in should be down.

My new Sidecar tire showed up today 2 day early.

Posted : April 27, 2022 12:16 pm
(@2FLTC)

The only problem is some of the interstates I'v being on that have the crown they have the  left lane is crown to the left. That's probably the only time I use the ECC to lower the hack so it does not push me to the left.  Also if you are pushing it trying to make time it also help on those long sweeping right curves to lower it. 

Posted : April 28, 2022 2:35 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

I understand, as we ride more and use our rigs we  often live by altered rules. One common one is always lower ECC before changing lanes.

We however learn when setting up our rigs how to use it to our advantage . Just as using power on or off and steady in long curves.

I have been know to push the rigs hard and fast. The skill set involved was not there when first exposed to them.

The Hannigan sidecars tend to be a little wider and heavier than other models. That alters a few of the standard rules a little.

I will be looking mine over good in the next week.  Trip is coming up fast. I do not want any surprises on the road.

Posted : April 28, 2022 7:07 am