Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant
- (Added by: DAVE)

Trike vs Sidecar
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

LDuck
Posted 10/23/2005 2:58 PM (#11013)
Subject: Trike vs Sidecar

Veteran

I caught a little something on the speed channel (Corbin sponsored ) this morning, they were featuring a successful fast growing Trike conversion company, the company claimed 3 wheel/trikes to be the fastest growing segment of the cycle industry, and that ageing riders are looking for alternatives to holding up a 900 lb. bike plus a passenger, they also featured a broad line of conversion products ranging from what they called a lightweight 750cc rig to the heavyweight Ventures, Hondas, Harleys etc.

TRIKE vs SIDECAR

I think your readers might like to here some comments and opinions from you guy, trike vs sidecar, the pros and cons.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidecarMike
Posted 10/23/2005 5:36 PM (#11023 - in reply to #11013)
Subject: RE: Trike vs Sidecar

Expert

I've owned both. I still ride sidecar rigs. I'll doubt I'll ever own another trike.
sidecarLenny
Posted 10/23/2005 5:58 PM (#11027 - in reply to #11013)

Veteran

I've had both and prefer the sidecar.
My wife likes the trike better as a passenger.
My kids like the hack better.
In a perfect world I'd have both.

PS I'll never give up my HACK.
claude #3563
Posted 10/23/2005 6:23 PM (#11029 - in reply to #11027)

Expert

Sidecar: More storage
More comfort for passenger
More fun to ride
You get to meet more wacky sidecar folks

Trike: None of the above

Pet peeve !!
Teaching that you have to be a gymnist to ride a sidecar at any speed other than a creeping arong corners deal has run some good people away from sidecars. This teachiung is simply false! CRYING SHAME..PITIFUL!

LDuck
Posted 10/23/2005 7:19 PM (#11033 - in reply to #11013)

Veteran

SCLenny, why does your wife like the trike better? And why do you and the kids like the hack better?
What is it about a trike that you dislike SCMike?
Claude, is a trike ez’r to handle vs hack?

What’s interesting is the statistics of this site, it appears there are a lot of visitors checking out the site, my guess is most don’t post a question but are simply looking for experienced folks sharing there knowledge, and I would also suspect they are looking to make a comparison (pros/cons) between the trike and sc before they make a decision to buy one or the other.
Uncle Ernie
Posted 10/23/2005 9:10 PM (#11037 - in reply to #11013)

Extreme Veteran

Would anyone mind desdribing what it's like to ride a trike? It looks to me as if the handling would be the worst of three options.
sidecarLenny
Posted 10/24/2005 8:40 AM (#11046 - in reply to #11013)

Veteran

Wife likes the trike because she is higher, more of a two up position,and claims less bouncing around.
Kids like the hack because its fun and cool when I take them to school.
I like the versatility the hack offers over the trike.
I also like looks of the sidecar and the history behind sidecars.
Thats it in a nutshell.

SidecarMike
Posted 10/24/2005 10:12 AM (#11047 - in reply to #11033)

Expert

Originally written by LDuck on 10/23/2005 7:19 PM

What is it about a trike that you dislike SCMike?

Every thing Lenny said, plus the fact that if you find you don't like a Trike conversion, there is no going back without a major hit on the pocketbook. If you don't like the sidecar, you pull four bolts and sell it.

I also found that the trikes, at highway speeds, rode like tractors and on cornering your passenger has to really concentrate on staying on the seat.
Bob in Wis
Posted 10/24/2005 10:25 AM (#11051 - in reply to #11013)

Elite Veteran

I never rode a trike...they are scary just looking at them, thinking about the passengers and twisty roads.
My sidecar rig is great in the twistys,for me and my wife.

sidecarLenny
Posted 10/24/2005 11:04 AM (#11052 - in reply to #11013)

Veteran

Mike brought up a great point about the cost and conversion back to solo rider if you don't like the hack.
In addition to that with the hack to can make it better in phases.
You build a basic hack and love it. You're hooked!!
Now you add a leading link or change the trees to reduce trail.
You change the tires/rims. You can upgrade as you go.
Much safer money wise than building a great trike.

Fly
Posted 10/24/2005 11:11 AM (#11053 - in reply to #11013)

Extreme Veteran

with a trike your choice of bike is limited. trikes all look like they came out of the same cookie cutter. sidecars look much more individual. trikes steer like a truck unless your put raked trees on just like a sidecar..............fly
Ingmar
Posted 10/24/2005 12:51 PM (#11055 - in reply to #11013)

Here in The Netherlands there are not many trikes, I think they better fit on the long and wide highways you,ve got in the States.
I think a trike is more for fun than it is useful.
A sidecar is much better in handling and if you are experienced in driving it I think it gives more fun than driving a trike.
A sidecar for me means adventure ( driving to the elephant rally in Germany which is the biggest rally for sidecars in europe, driving a thousand kilometers freezing your fingers off and still saying to yourself: this is fun !!!).
No it is possible to do with a trike, but it just would not be the same , I think the trikes better stay on the beach, thats were I think they were made for.
(only exception: The German Kettenrad, okay it has tracks but it is still a trike isn´t it)

Greetings from Holland,

Ingmar

hal77079
Posted 10/24/2005 2:27 PM (#11056 - in reply to #11013)

Veteran

Now that the door is open, let us define exactly what a TRIKE is. It is a 3-track vehicle. That would include the very first auto/cycle ever that no one can figure out exactly what it was back in 1865 or whenever it was that created both the auto and cycle???

That led to the Forecar and the Rearcar of the 1895-1910 era.

The Forecar was the forerunner of the Servicar of the 1940s to 1985 HDs

It was also the forerunner of the 2-wheeler ATV of the 1960s to 1980s.

And there are also hundreds of other vehicles spawned along the way in almost every country with three wheels - from humble 50 cc units to massive units designed for heavy duty construction usage and drayage and for serious people transportation.

When one even suggests that there are "good" or "bad" features of or about "trikes", please be so kind as so precisely describe which specific type of trike you are referring to. Without such information it is like describing the precise length of a piece of string. Or saying you can empty the ocean by dipping the water out by using a baby bucket.

Of course, when one has defined the specific type of trike then we can agree, or disagree, on those features, or not.

I have driven BIG RED, the older 3-wheel trike and found it extremely enjoyable and safe when driven in the manner it was designed by its manufacurer on the type of terrain it was intended for. However, when driven by those unskilled in its behavior and on surfaces it was not intended to be used on and when driven at unsafe speeds in a reckless and dangerous manner it was a deadly beast and given an unjust reputation.
highway
Posted 10/24/2005 8:52 PM (#11062 - in reply to #11013)

If I remember right my trike rode rough with the 22” over stock springer or a stock springer. Sort of like riding in a narrow rear end in a slammed mini truck with big over size tires…..looks good but rides like hell….

The ATV industry seen fit, after the amount of accidents that occurred while riding a three wheeler “Trike”, to STOP making them

So far the side car is still legal regardless of the size or brand.

Also Harley Davidson makes its own side car. They quit making their trikes. I am sure it was not because no one was buying them.
hal77079
Posted 10/24/2005 10:09 PM (#11065 - in reply to #11013)

Veteran

Again - see above - the H-D Servicar, and vehichles like it - only resembled the Japanese 3-wheeled ATVs by sharing 3 wheels and three wheel tracks. There the similarity ended. As I said in my previous post, you must be extremely careful NOT to compare ANY particular type of three wheeler with any OTHER thype of three wheeler.

That is the same as saying that a HPS sidecar rig should be classed along with a Bambi scooter rig. Each type of 3-wheeler MUST be defined for its good points and its bad points within that class and not with any other class. To do so is to put us that know better in the same class as those that do not.

The H-D Servicars and similar rigs built by Indian, also later rigs built for extreme heavy duty like the Rico, and yes, even Honda built one or two, cannnot be classed with the smaller 3-wheelers that were used indiscriminately by immature idiots who wrecked themeselves and their machines. It was those idiots as much as the attitutudes of the big 4 that led to the destruction and eradication of the trikes of the 70s-80s, not the trike per se which got a very unjust bad rap.
SidecarMike
Posted 10/24/2005 10:49 PM (#11068 - in reply to #11065)

Expert

Now this is a Trike! http://www.bobsokol.com/trike/trike2.html
highway
Posted 10/24/2005 11:16 PM (#11070 - in reply to #11013)

Wonder who built the first trike Harley Davidson or the Japanese. I wonder who quit making them first Harley Davidson or the Japanese. Harley tinkered with bring the Trikes back in the mid 80’s but scraped the idea due to safety issues. They chose to continue to build side cars.
Bob in Wis
Posted 10/24/2005 11:24 PM (#11071 - in reply to #11013)

Elite Veteran

heres another trike
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/bs/090903autoshows/im:/05102...
hal77079
Posted 10/25/2005 12:46 AM (#11072 - in reply to #11013)

Veteran

1932: The H-D 45ci Servicar model was introduced, one year after Indian had introduced their version in 1931. These basic models had a load capacity of 200 pounds in the rear compartment making them very heavy duty machines. The motord snd transmissions were interchangable with the stock 45 cu in of the 1937 H-Ds.

Not to be compared with the lightweight 3-wheel ATVs brought out by the Japs in the 70s to 80s. The Japs had puny motors of 50 to 150 cc, and were extreme lightweights. A very few were made for hunting or heavy duty but not in the H-D category.

Like comparing ants with elephants. Each has its place.

Safety really had little to do with the death of the ATV. But false perception by do-gooders and stupid actions by many illguided folks did. Yes, we had a witch burning like we had in Salem a few years ago and for about the same reasons. Stupidity.
LDuck
Posted 10/25/2005 5:29 PM (#11092 - in reply to #11013)

Veteran

We have some friends that are long time two wheel riders but like us have no experience on a trike or a sidecar rig. They’ve been comparing the hd trike conversion and the hd sidecar rig, (ultra classics). I’ve recommended they read some of the stuff posted on this and other forums to help get some opinions from experienced riders, comparing the two is difficult, as Hal has said they are not the same animal, however it is not clear if the same dangers of riding the trike pillion is the same as a sidecar rig. Mona prefers the looks of the trike, go figure???

I realize this is a sidecar site and not a trike site and hope you will be patient with me on this subject, Thank You

Lawrence Duckworth
Hack'n
Posted 10/26/2005 8:48 PM (#11140 - in reply to #11092)

Expert

Now here is something that can compared. Harley vs Harley.
Electra Glide with a sidecar:
Factory warranty still intact. Even extended if desired, Big item!
Motorcycle is a stock unmodified unit.
Sidecar can be removed and Motorcycle can be used as a solo ride.
Sidecar can be sold and you still have a motorcycle.
All three wheels/tires are the same except for tread design giving a comfortable ride.
Both motorcycle and sidecar have many decades of engineering incorporated.
Lots of storage and carrying capacity.
Room for three (or more if small children are riding).
Comfortable passenger seating in both sidecar and on motorcycle.
Ability to carry small children and animals safely.
Ability to carry odd shaped loads easily (can you say golf clubs?)
S/C passenger can wear shorts and sandals safely if desired.
S/C passenger can't fall off if they fall asleep.
S/C passenger has own windshield for weather/bug protection.
S/C passenger has unobstructed view of road and ahead.
Great resale value with a wide market sector.

Trike conversion:
You buy an expensive motorcycle and throw half of it away and subsitute an expensive rear half conversion.
Loss of factory extended warranty option.
Not many years of track record and engineering.
Mismatched chassis design with a narrow motorcycle wheel/tire in front and two fat automobile wheels/tires in the rear.
Large rear wheels/tires and short wheelbase give a choppy ride.
With less air in the rear tires, a mushy ride.
Less stability both ways if hard braking in turns.
Still a two passenger unit.
Passengers at risk of falling off.
No passenger windshield.
Passenger must/should wear protective clothing.
Small kids stay at home with the baby sitter.
Limited cargo space.
Limited resale market.

No contest!

claude #3563
Posted 10/26/2005 9:55 PM (#11143 - in reply to #11140)

Expert

Excellent Lonnie! You should send that in to Hack'd and The Sidecarist.
Jsolomito
Posted 10/26/2005 10:20 PM (#11146 - in reply to #11013)

I,ve never driven a trike but whenever I've seen them on the road they always looked kind of...well...silly. Like they couldn't really decide what they wanted to be when they grew up. Hacks on the other hand looked like a real vehicle. Cool, vintage, retro. Conjures up visions of WW-II troops in France. Plus room for three plus baggage. Still retains the identity of the bike, H-D, Wing etc. It just seemed like a more natural move when going from two wheels to three.
Joe
Jsolomito
Posted 10/26/2005 10:25 PM (#11147 - in reply to #11013)

BTW, when talking about fastest growing segment of the market you've got to be careful to look at the fine print. If the industry produced 1 unit last year, and 2 units this year that's a 100% increase in just one year but would hardly represent a firestorm of interest.
Joe
LDuck
Posted 10/28/2005 1:25 PM (#11180 - in reply to #11013)

Veteran

I printed what Hack’n said about the hd sidecar vs the hd trike conversion.

Mona’s changing her mind about the trike!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software